Spalted beech for dining table

Grain Guy

I don't know much about beech, but I just checked the Janka scale, and Highland Beech is 1686. That's harder than hard maple. That's hard. I'd say as long as the spalting isn't so severe that your boards are falling apart, go for it. And post some pics...I'd like to see spalted beech.

Taking into account that I have never worked with spalted beech before, I would think that it would greatly depend on the size of the table, but my gut instinct would be "no", for a table inteded for heavy use / lifetime longevity. If it's borderline, do you really want to risk it and then have to worry about it all the time? (and I'm assuming the wood is HEAVILY spalted... if it's minor or medium i'd imagine it's fine....)

But, I'm sure others with more experience will chime in and prove me wrong <smile>.

Best,

EG

It would depend on the thickness of the wood as well as how much the spalting had softened the boards. You could build a ladder type structure between the tables aprons to help support the top. Cover the outside faces with the spalted for appearance. Legs would depend on the style and could require gluing up 4 faces around a core. I might be tempted to use normal beech for the legs and use the spalted for the top and aprons.