Mandrel Dilemma

CattleMaster247

Hey Guys,

Still kind of new to the forum, and a moderately skilled turner. I have been turning quite a few bottle stoppers in the past month or so, and have run into an issue with my threaded mandrels from time to time. After finding the center and drilling the mandrel hole, I then proceed to tap/thread the hole, i then run the mandrel into hole, set in lathe and start turning. After turning and finishing the stoppers, from time to time I run into the issue, that the mandrel is locked/stuck in the stopper. and occasional i will set in a vice and remove the mandrel. During this I have had a few pieces of wood crack before the mandrel would release, and on occasion the the wood will lose it's shape from the squeeze. Does anyone have solution to the matter?

Just get a strap wrench and use that to get the stopper off the mandrel. I've had that happen several times. I don't have a strap wrench, but use a strip of leather wrapped around the stopper a few times and a pair of vise grips of channel locks.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

i used to run into that problem a lot. Then I switched to the PSI kits and got the PSI bottle stopper chuck. Looks like a chuck with a screw sticking out of it. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-BS1-MJ.html

This chuck has some flats on it that allow me to use a wrench to help unwind the stopper. Couple it with a glove on the other hand and the stopper always come off the chuck screw.

Adam