Rust Removal - Bar Keepers Friend

Redbaran

So as part of a gift I got my wife (new cookware), I ran across this Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) stuff and the great reviews that it had on Amazon. Eventually, I found myself looking for things to clean. First I used it to clean up some knives that had developed some rust spots. Next, I decided I'd see how well it would do on a planer/jointer I picked up at a garage sale and have yet to clean up. I tried to remove the surface rust once before, but wasn't very successfully. With the BKF, it turned out very well. I've attached a couple photos. It's certainly not a perfect finish, but it will be much better than it was before once I'm done. In the third picture, you can still see some spots, so I don't think it will ever perfect (besides the fact that it's a Harbor Freight tool).

Even though the BKF stuff did well, and I'll be happy with it, does anyone have any suggestions on something that might do even better? I did see where someone used Evaporust soaked paper towels and laid them on the surface of a table saw. Would that get this surface any cleaner then I've already got it? I don't have any of the stuff, otherwise I'd just try it out.

I didn't see any posts on these forums that mentioned BKF, so I thought I'd share. I did see some posts on electrolysis and that looks cool! I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever had smaller stuff that's really rusty, but I think the BKF does well enough that I don't want to take it apart to immerse in water to do electrolysis or Evaporust.

post-2970-0-47524300-1356581314_thumb.jp

post-2970-0-59795400-1356581315_thumb.jp

post-2970-0-04559200-1356581317_thumb.jp

Total time was about an hour, but most of that was cleaning up the mess from it dripping on the sides and stuff. the actual cleaning is pretty quick. It's a powder, like comet but with different chemicals, so I sprinkle it on, then with a wet sponge work it into a paste and use small circular motions.

Afterwards, I used Johnson's paste waste to prevent future rust. I think most people are using something else, but that's what I had on hand.

Give it a try and post some before and after pictures!