Issues with JET JWL1442

Adam Luna

Hey guys I'm new here and recently pick up this new 1442 jet lathe but seems like it's having an issue with the reeves drive. It looks like the belt at the highest rpm start wobbling at 3000RPM at the 2300 RPM does fine, at 1900 makes a noise... I have a video to show and maybe someone can help me.

Adam, I had a1442 and had a problem with the drive one time. Itook the belt off, used silicon spay to lubricate the mechanism and then put the belt on.neverhada problem after that. The belt looks fine, it is more than likely the drive needs lube. I took the belt off so I wouldn't get lube on it.

BRuce

Adam, the first video indicates 2 problems. 1st, as I suspected, the pulley assembly on the motor is sticking. That is why it jumped a out halfway through the video. Take the belt off and get some one to drop a block of wood between the pulleys while you pull them apart. Then clean and lubricate the shaft. With silicon or lithium grease (just a very little).

2nd problem is the belt tension is too loose at the highest speed. The belt should not bow out like it does, it should maintain the same tension from low to high speed.

BRuce

Bruce,

Thanks for the advice... this is what Ive done today:

Took the headstock apart, removed old belt removed all 3 bearings installed new ones, tried to put all back together and im stuck because the shaft is not going all the way thru and my gears are not moving because the pulley is closed and wont go anywhere, and by default I have not been able to sit the belt. So I'm stuck!

here are some pictures, please help! how can I make the pulleys move? and make the shaft sitting right?

Thanks

post-12977-0-46867400-1361339432_thumb.j

post-12977-0-37263300-1361339433_thumb.j

post-12977-0-36754300-1361339434_thumb.j

post-12977-0-21375100-1361339435_thumb.j