Refinishing Solid Oak Dining Table

mwetz98

I am refinishing an oak dining table that is probably around 30 or 40 years old.  The plan is to stain it much darker than it already is.  I used some good old fashion stripper because that is what I had on hand.  As a result I now have blotchy wood.  I bought a can of Formsby Furniture Refinisher hoping that would solve the problem since I have used it before on oak plywood and it worked like a charm. 

I am not quite sure what my next step should be.  I am considering a wood bleach but have never used one before.  Any suggestions?  I

The wood conditioner will certainly help even out stain absorbtion, but I have never personally seen that to be a problem with oak. It sounds like your old finish has not been completely removed. If that is true, I can only recommend more sanding / scraping to remove it. You might also consider staining, sealing with shellac, then applying a glaze to achieve a more uniform color. I have had good success with that technique, even over oak with rough-sawn surfaces. A clear top coat will keep the glaze from wearing off.

I saw somewhere on this board a recommendation to whipe the table with mineral spirits to get an idea what it will look like with stain.  I gave it a shot and even though it's blotchy when whiped with mineral spirits it looks pretty even.  I still think I'm going to give that blotch control a shot.