Treasure Box with through mitre keys

wouldwurker

Built this for my niece with some scrap wood lying around.  I find it's nice to have a small box project in the works while I'm working on the larger projects.

Box is pine.  I went with vertical grain to give the impression of a hollowed out 4x4.  Later realized how difficult it made my 45 degree shadow line chamfer at the bottom...end grain city.

Top and bottom mitre keys are purple heart.

The middle through mitre keys are walnut.  You can see where they come out in the inside in the one photograph, making for a great shelf stop.

Middle shelf is pine with a walnut edge banding (more scrap).  I got the idea after seeing Marc's live video on edge banding last week.  A small brass pull knob removes the middle shelf for the "secret" bottom compartment.

Top is Ambrosia Maple, rabbited and chamfered.  7 degree bevel on two of the top sides to define the "front" from the "back", since the box isn't a perfect square.  Love that "pop" when it comes off!

Bottom of the box is dado'ed in.

Wiping varnish is too difficult to apply to the inside of the box once constructed, so I used Danish oil for the first coat, inside and out.  After that, 5 coats of Arm R Seal - gloss everywhere but the inside.  Letting cure for 2 weeks...going to rub it out after that.

4 different woods might be a bit overkill...but it was fun, and she'll (hopefully) love it.  The edge banding is such a great use of all my thin scrap from the table saw, and so simple to do.  Glue it on, trim it flush.

post-15261-0-66262400-1397228795_thumb.j

post-15261-0-23878800-1397228797_thumb.j

post-15261-0-89772600-1397228798_thumb.j