Jointer/Planer advice needed

lemiwinks

So, I've been woodworking for a while now, and have used my table saw with sanding to thickness anything I needed, and gave up on anything too big to thickness this way. But I think I'm ready to bite the bullet and get a jointer/planer combo or planer. My shop is very small so it's one or the other. I'm looking for advice as to which I'm better off with, I realize jointers hold an important role in woodworking, but then most planers have a larger working area.

At first glance, and due to having a 20% coupon for Rockler at the moment, the jointer I think I would choose would be 

http://www.rockler.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-2-speed-planer-includes-knives-table

It got a few good reviews and lots of mentions on other forums.

I dont see many combos around so I assume there is a reason.

So, small shop, jointer, planer, or combo, budget is under $800.

I have a #5 plane, but no workbench to speak of... yet...

That is the planer most people recommend on this forum. Many people also say the DW735 is commonly available on Craigslist. I have not found that to be so in my area. When I did find one it was sold almost instantly. I ended up buying a Makita 2012NB that I like just fine. Check the small print on your coupon to make sure it is good on bigger equipment such as that. If not, check out toolbarn.com. They have the DW735 on sale for $599 which includes shipping. That is where I bought my Makita and that worked out great.

Before you jump into buying new.  Look for reconditioned!  That's a little better than used.  Tyler tool.com  is selling reconditioned dewalt 735's for less than $500.. And there is a short warranty.  Plus, you'd have spare money to pick up a small jointer off craigslist or ebay!   If you do buy the 735, after awhile you'll need to replace the blades [they can only be sharpened once]  you then contact Infinity tools.com and buy they're HHS blades.  They last 3 to 4 times longer than the factory blades!  The in and out feed tables can be bought seperately, and they're not to expensive!