Lie Nielsen event in my hood?!

nod

I should look out the window for flying pigs. I had pretty much assumed the likes of a LN event would not be found in my state, let alone the city I live in.They seemed mostly to happen in the midwest and east. I'm not exactly in the market for such fine things at the moment, but have always been curious about seeing them/testing them first hand.

I was showing the wife the low angle block plane just the other day on our iPad, hinting I have a birthday a couple months away. Randomly, I saw their upcoming event 2 days away.. err.. now tomorrow! Good thing I work from home. I'll sneek out for an hour or two, play with and drool on some expensive toys. what could go wrong?  :rolleyes: wwoooooooooosssshhhh!!! (giant sucking sound from my wallet)

Freddie, it was pretty nice to see all those beauties in person. And to fondler,.. uhh... handle them. One of the LN fella's was really accommodating with my questions and walked me through their 'core tool' suggestions for noobs. I'm holding out for the low angle block as a birthday present (hint hint to the wife), but their router plane was most tempting. Super sweet tool, I jsut dont' have a need for one right now. Nice to see it wasn't an arm and a leg either - considering a local guy wants to sell an old stanley for about 15 bucks less. 

Anyway, cash burning a whole in my pocket, I picked up a Tite Mark gauge from the gal at Glen-Drake. She was really nice, and they make the tools for LN, so I figured I'd buy from her instead of LN on this one. Blue Spruce was there as well, and holy smoked those chisels are sweet. 

Just noticed the closed throat router plane isn't available yet on their site.... I'll be buying one of those when the eventually become available. sweet stuff

Same thing when I checked for the iron miter plane a while back, wasn't on the site. They are on ebay now as well as all bronze versions for way more than Lie Nielsen was selling em for. And people are buying them!

Same thing when I checked for the iron miter plane a while back, wasn't on the site. They are on ebay now as well as all bronze versions for way more than Lie Nielsen was selling em for. And people are buying them!

So you're saying that router plane may never be available and I missed my chance to get it? oohh s____________ (waggling fists in air!)

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago. It's hands down a piece of art. Keep dropping those hints!

Congrats! I figure it's the most useful LN I could possibly justify. And it's not thaaat expensive. Having a birthday in December, and a baby due at the end of the year, I know my only chance is to start early!! We've agreed that no christmas gifts this year since the baby is due so close, and we'll be spending plenty on baby needs. 

My next case to make for this is that hand tools are quiet. I can work without waking the baby.  :D

• Like 2

Maybe mine is a collectors item :)

I thought perhaps they weren't released YET. But then I read the catalog (says 2013), so they must have launched them, sold through, and don't have any more yet. The guy doing to demo sure loved that version over the other. I sure hope they release more soon. err.. .not too soon.. I've gotta save up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They have an event here in MN this weekend. It's either go to the LN event or take a whole day shelak class. Is the LN event worth it????

I'm going to let the seasoned vets give you some real advice. It was neat to see the tools in person, touch, play, etc.. I learned a couple tips and tricks by watching the guys do their demos, but I was there an hour, maybe two at the most. Giving that up for a focused skill building class... your call really. Can you take that class another day? is the LN event by you two days like the one near me?

If it matters, at the local event, LN was there of course, plus Blue Spruce, Glen-Drake Toolworks, a saw maker and a wood plane maker. I didn't catch their names. I bet there are some different vendors based near your area. It was nice to see their goods in person vs pics on line, but it was a quick, drop-in thing for me. I didn't need to spend half a day or more there. Sorry, that's not helpful at all I'm sure.