Was there a recent Powermatic sale???

I'm "window shopping" online for my first jointer.  I'm checking out all the various models Powermatic sells and their differences.  I go to Amazon to check out the price for a PJ-882HH (8" joiner w/helical cutter) and it was $2600.99 where other folks online were selling it for $3059.99.  I almost pulled the trigger until I read some folks talk about it only be marginally better than a Grizzly G0495X but I digress.

Here's my point:  I checked that price Monday September 29 at 10:00pm ( I took the screen shot this evening, Tuesday, before the page refreshed).  I checked the price Tuesday morning, back up to the same price everyone else is selling it at, $3059.99.  

So was there a recent sale (works out to be 15% off) or is buying from Amazon like buying airline tickets?

post-14354-0-60142700-1412127246_thumb.p

I've found my best prices through cpopowermatic.com (jet and many others also have a CPO distribution thing). Whenever there is a discount or sale these sites also honor the discount with free shipping in most cases. Fwiw I'll take that price to a local seller (for me it's ACME tools) and am able to have a new shiny tool in the shop the next day (sometimes for an even better price).

Buying from Amazon is like buying airline tickets for most items.  Their algorithms make their prices very volatile for many reasons.  Trying to figure it out will just give you a headache and you'll be no better off, trust me.

However, for certain brands, PM/Jet included, their products only go on sale when the manufacturer allows it.  Festool is another.  As far as I'm concerned it's price fixing and should be illegal, but they get away with it using whatever loophole they use.