Buckeye Burl

khowald

Have a chance to pick up a buckeye burl table, it is about 4.5' x 2' x 3,75" very irregular and natural edge.  It has been in table form for around fifty years.  Hoping to take the finish off of the top and remove the legs and then cut it into turning blocks.  Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?  I am getting the table for $200., although I do have top make a 12 hour round trip for it...I think it will be worth it.,,Thoughts????

My 2 cents (just an opinion from my side of the fence as a guitar builder)

Buckeye burls fetch a HUGE amount of money for guitar builders. 24" wide = length of a guitar body. 13" wide = width of a guitar body 2" thick = thickness (generalizations of size mind you!)  That would net you 4 body blanks, and given the quality, could fetch you 2-500 (depending on figure of course) each blank. Then you can use that money and get some wood thats already portioned for your needs. 

Not affiliated with this site, simply showing you Im not blowing smoke up your butt lol

(this one is only an inch thick mind you!)

http://www.walnutwoods.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=677&category_id=64&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

If you could post pics, I could help get you a "Realistic" price valuation, I even know a guy that would buy em.