Hand planer?

tdh36185

so I figure I will most likely be accosted for this. Is the a reason one cannot get a powered hand planer for most tasks (minus specialty planes and smoothing as well as block planes)? I am seeing a and hearing a lot about the low angle jack but given my festool collection, is there a reason one would not go the route of a powered planer instead of the jack?

What are you going to use it for?  Do you have a typical powered jointer and a planer to do your surfacing?

The festool planer will leave marks so you'll still need to do some smoothing work to get a finish-ready surface.  The only task that i can picture a handheld planer excelling at would be flatting a board that's too wide for a lunchbox planer.  Though, if you're doing that often enough to be considering buying the festool then perhaps building a router sled would be a better approach.  It's cheaper and would give a flatter result.

Powered hand held planers are great for some things and truly awful for others. If you often need to chew through mountains of stock, the tool could be helpful. However, with such a small footprint they tend to pitch and gouge without the absolute greatest care. If you are set up to rapidly remove, this means a potential deep gouge. I personally see them as a rough work option that will usually require a lot of follow up work.

I was thinking about getting one.  I was in between Makita, Festool and some other one.  I was all geared up to buy one, but decided against it when I heard the 3 WoodTalkers say they owned them but never/rarely used them.  I can't recall the show number.

A little extra money got me a JET lunchbox planer, and I'm very happy with that.  Does all of my planing needs without a hitch.

Thanks to all, I probably will just make a router sled as well as try to convince the boss that I could really use a bevel up jack. I have a dewalt lunchbox planer, I just have had a few circumstances including one looming that current stock is too large. Thanks again, I do recall something about the mention of the hand powered planers as well and how they are of little use. Happy sawdust production.