mango wood grease stain

post-17092-0-48416700-1422995310_thumb.jpost-17092-0-25561400-1422995317_thumb.jI bought a rustic looking mango wood dining table 6 weeks ago, not realizing that I was supposed to protect it with wax before using. There are now grease stains all over it. Is there any hope to get them out? I tried cornstarch, which worked for some, but not all. Any advice as to what to do to help this table look good? I'm hoping to get more stains out before applying wax (or oils??). Also open to any advice as to which is best- wax or oil, and what type. Any/all advice most appreciated!

If it's just skin oils from handling it, there's a decent chance it will blend in once finish and / or wax is applied.  As a test, you could wipe down lightly with mineral spirits (probably start on the underside as it's hidden)..  Otherwise I'd be tempted to try de-natured alcohol for further cleaning. 

Maybe acetone or laquer thinner might work. I would make a test grease stain on the underside of the top, see what works and then clean the entire table. Not real familiar with mango wood but I would try something like Watco Danish oil after its clean. Again, do a test on the underside of the table first. Follow the directions on the can.

Be careful with strong solvents, use precautions, gloves, respirator etc.

Follow directions about oil soaked rags ! There is a chance of spontaneous combustion if you are careless and the wrong conditions occur! Used properly it's quite safe (of course California may disagree)

I refinished a mango wood kitchen table recently. It's whitewashed and topped with waterbased poly, but I'll flip you a pick. You might like the whitewash look.

Mango is such a busy wood and known for its color, that I'm sure if you applied an oil-base finish eventually it would blend pretty well anyway. If you can't degrease it with mineral spirits or denat alcohol, and/or or very lightly sand it out (hadn't heard a light sanding option) ...maybe rub a tiny teeny little pizza grease in an inconspicuous spot under the table...give it a day...then rub a tiny bit of boiled linseed oil around it and see if it blends.

EDIT: prepare to have the whole table get more yellow if you take the full blown oil route

You could also run a pepperoni stick over the whole table to blend in those stains. :)

You could get one of those 3 ft. wide pizzas, flip it over and rub it around a bit. Remove the pizza, wipe off the excess grease, and allow 24 hours to cure. For an even sheen, ensure the pizza has same formula as the original. (all the same toppings).

Everyone else said all the useful stuff, I just figured you might need another approach. Something out the box.

You could get one of those 3 ft. wide pizzas, flip it over and rub it around a bit. Remove the pizza, wipe off the excess grease, and allow 24 hours to cure. For an even sheen, ensure the pizza has same formula as the original. (all the same toppings).

Everyone else said all the useful stuff, I just figured you might need another approach. Something out the box.

I have to give credit where credit is due. 'Something out the box' wins the Best Pun Award