Rubbing out lacquer

Dnorris1369

I just finished up a jewelry box for wife for Valentine's Day. It's maple and padauk. I finished it with spray can lacquer Saturday night was last coat. It looks great but I would love to rub it out. I've never done rubbing out before. I'd like a gloss finish. First question do I have enough time to do this by Friday night?(finish cured long enough). 2nd. What is a simple way to do this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

==>do I have enough time to do this by Friday night?

Sorry, nope... While it may look and feel cured, it usually takes between 1 and 3 weeks depending on who you ask and what you sprayed... There is also the real issue of solids content... You need sufficient solids to have something to rub... I'm not a rattle can jockey, so someone else will have to chime in... You should provide brand and some indication of how many coats you applied, whether they were 'wet' coats or 'dry', etc... If you rub without suficient solids, it's going to be a bad day...

==>Deft is just nitro.

I understand Deft (or the parent company, whatever) was purchased in '13 or early '14 and some tweeking was done to the formulation... Do you know what was done? Is it still actually Deft, or something else and leveraging the brand?

==>Deft is just nitro.

I understand Deft (or the parent company, whatever) was purchased in '13 or early '14 and some tweeking was done to the formulation... Do you know what was done? Is it still actually Deft, or something else and leveraging the brand?

Its just PPG I doubt much has change. The shelf life is to long to be catalyzed, I have a can that says it expires 6/2017 thats longer than twinkies.  Generally you have a 2hr recoat window with catalyzed Deft is wait two hours before recoat. I don't think anyone knows for sure what is in deft. Some claim its just nitro with retarder and I tend to think thats probably pretty close just adding 2+2.

Agree about the shelf life... Probably no cat... It's got to have some retarder + what?... I tried pushing a rubbing schedule on Deft once -- it's wasn't pretty... For full disclosure, I was in a rush and my technique suffered, but it was still a bit too soft after 48hrs... I may have layed-down too wet, don't know... And I was using a buffer... And I was in a rush...Not good... Now I just wait seven days...

==>twinkies

Have they started making them again? Figured they'd be banned by the Geneva Accords as a WMD by now...

Agree about the shelf life... Probably no cat... It's got to have some retarder + what?... I tried pushing a rubbing schedule on Deft once -- it's wasn't pretty... For full disclosure, I was in a rush and my technique suffered, but it was still a bit too soft after 48hrs... I may have layed-down too wet, don't know... And I was using a buffer... And I was in a rush...Not good... Now I just wait seven days...

==>twinkies

Have they started making them again? Figured they'd be banned by the Geneva Accords as a WMD by now...

Nope they are back. :)