Strongest Edge Joint???

Rob S

Just a reminder to keep things friendly...all opinions are to be respected, even if they're wrong. LOL

I think it's a matter of diminishing returns, just like so many other endeavors regarding ratios of quality and value.  While I can't say that I was aware that $5,000 cables for home stereos even existed...and I do hope that's an exaggeration...I think cables costing half of that ridiculous number would surely produce a sound indiscernible to the human ear.  In fact, without personal experience to back it up, I would assume that $100 cables would produce a similar result, depending on the quality of the overall system those wires are connecting.

Sound quality in audio systems is only as good as its weakest link, so if you connect $5,000 cables to a system you bought at Best Buy...even their most expensive system...chances are you won't be able to tell the difference, because the system itself is not capable of relaying the improvement.  You reach a point of diminished returns with even minor upgrades.  But once you start fiddling with high-end systems, small changes can make a significant and discernible difference because the system is not holding the upgrade back.

All I know is that my McIntosh system is far superior in sound quality to the Sony receiver and Klipsch speakers I have in my shop...both systems contain wires and components...why is one so much better than the other?  You do eventually reach a point where the difference can only be perceived by computers...where exactly that point is depends on the ear of the listener until you go beyond the physical limitations of human observation.  But David Gilmore will presumably be able to detect more nuanced changes in sound than someone like, let's say...me.

Well that might be a bit of an exaggeration these are only $2,294 

http://www.lessloss.com/anchorwave-interconnects-and-speaker-cables-p-205.html

Audiophiles are a special kind of crazy.  Try these several hundred dollar USB cables.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-digital-interconnects/

Because clearly the Mp3 is seriously improved by going over an expensive cable instead of a cheap one.  The binary is so much clearer afterwards.