anybody tried their hand at gun stocks?

When my grandfather went lucid, I inherited his guns including a 1939 Lee Enfield #4mk1. The Barrel and action are smooth but the original stock is cracked from the hand guard all down to the cheek weld.

I have read a few articles on stock making and it seems like it would be a relatively easy project with the right blank.

Anybody dipped a toe in this art? I'd love to hear your victories/failures and see the finished product

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I'd love to do rebuild the stock on my grandfather's WWII Springfield that was used as a sniper rifle. On a side note, I also have an Arisaka Type38 6.5mm rifle he took off of a Japanese soldier in the South Pacific. The stock has 19 very clear notches in it. I shudder to think what they represent. Good luck with your grandpa's Lee Enfield!

I will also be watching this thread. 

Do you know the history of your grandfather's 1939 Lee Enfield #4mk1?  Have you considered restoration?  If you do a rebuild, do you plan to make it look original?

When was the last time it was fired?   How accurate is it?

I own an M1 Garand, which has a new, unfinished stock.  I plan to finish the stock, but after much more research.  My M1 is very accurate, even out to 600 yards.  I reload for my M1, which can be a challenge...easy to damage the op rod if the powder burns too fast or too slow.

I have studied the woodwork side of gunsmithing, just a little. Should you choose to replace the stock, rather than rebuild or repair, be very careful about your choice of materials. For solid stocks, manufacturers use the straightest, clearest grain available, and generally use wood that has been air dried for 7 - 10 years. Tight grain and closed pores are usually desirable. Having said that, a lot of hobbyists I read about are using laminated blanks. Maybe there is some advantage in stability, but its hard to beat the appearance of clear walnut or beech.

I will also be watching this thread.

Do you know the history of your grandfather's 1939 Lee Enfield #4mk1? Have you considered restoration? If you do a rebuild, do you plan to make it look original?

When was the last time it was fired? How accurate is it?

I own an M1 Garand, which has a new, unfinished stock. I plan to finish the stock, but after much more research. My M1 is very accurate, even out to 600 yards. I reload for my M1, which can be a challenge...easy to damage the op rod if the powder burns too fast or too slow.

I do know quite a bit of its history. It also has the crown stamped on the receiver.

I have shot it about a dozen times. I have no desire to try to copy the current stock, it's blocky and barely has enough cheek weld to fire. I guess I would try to replicate a monte carlo style

I do know quite a bit of its history. It also has the crown stamped on the receiver.

I have shot it about a dozen times. I have no desire to try to copy the current stock, it's blocky and barely has enough cheek weld to fire. I guess I would try to replicate a monte carlo style

The crown would be George VI.  With the serial number, you can determine the manufacturer.

Was your grandfather a collector?  Do you know how he acquired the rifle?