Will the Festool HK55 break down sheet goods as accurately as their track saw?

Lt CHEG

I'm thinking of adding the Festool HK 55 to my collection.  I would use it to cut pieces that my non sliding compound miter saw will not handle as well as for general carpentry type stuff.  I also would like the ability to accurately breakdown sheet goods without having to use my tablesaw.  I definitely don't think that I could justify the cost of a Festool track saw and their HK 55 so I am thinking that the HK 55 would be the overall better tool for me as long as it breaks down sheet goods well.  Does this seem like a good idea or should I just buy a track saw and use that in combination with a precision square for cross cuts that my miter saw can't handle? Thanks for your advice.

I've done some research on this last week and what I've found is that the HK saw is just as accurate but has 2-3 drawbacks. 1 It doesn't have as good of dust collection, the big open side i think makes it slightly worse. 2. The off cut side doesn't have the support like the TS saws do so there will be a bit more chip out on the off cut side. 3. The saw doesn't plunge so you have to treat it like a regular circular saw. I believe the blade guard acts similarly as well.
 4. It doesn't have variable speed (not sure this really matters?). 5. i heard rumor that the 45 degree tilt doesn't have a positive stop at 45 degrees and goes to 50 but this is hear say.

The accuracy from the festool and track saw system comes from the track mostly the saw when calibrated properly (should be done from festool) just holds and spins a blade.

The answer to your question is yes. Its on a track, it wall cut just as accurately. Like Drew said, the offcut side has no drop down shoe like the ts55 to prevent tear out but your keeper side willl be tearout free.

Just to claify something that, Drew said, it does have a plunge function.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ive been looking at this saw too. Another thing worth noting is that it will not completely cut through 2x material on a 45° bevel. If this saw could make mitered fascia and hip/valley cuts i would have bought it already but it cant. Very dissapointing for a saw targeting carpenters, another mm or 2 of cut depth wouldve made this saw an extremely versatile tool for me. I played with one recently and really like the FSK system and all the features, but it falls short of my personal carpentry needs.

Basically if youre making lots of relatively short crosscuts in thinner materials, the HK would be great, and would double as a decent sheet-good break-down tool once u buy a longer track. The HK comes with a shorter FSK track so be prepared to shell out another couple bills if you wanna cut sheet goods.

You may consider the Makita track saw at half the price and (apparently) very comparable quality and function to the TS series. Cheaper saw, tracks, and blades since the festool uses propietary blades but Makita can use a standard 6-1/2".

But if the HK85 ever comes to the US well... i might have to sell a kid or 2 and grab one cuz that thing is next-level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

Another thing worth noting is that it will not completely cut through 2x material on a 45° bevel. If this saw could make mitered fascia and hip/valley cuts i would have bought it already but it cant. Very dissapointing for a saw targeting carpenters, another mm or 2 of cut depth wouldve made this saw an extremely versatile tool for me.

I kinda agree and kinda don't. Seriously, how often are you making these types of cuts? And the 1 mm nib left on the toe of the miter is really going to bother your "rough" framing? I think people went a little nuts with this shortfall. I jumped on the bandwagon at first and was like, "stupid Festool, how could they !" But when i really thought about how this saw would be used, i realized its not really that big an issue. How many houses do you frame a year? And of those houses, how many are you building that require a built on site rafter roof? All the houses we've ever done have been with trusses.

So the options are to take the saw off the rail for those cuts OR just live with the little nib. I don't know about you but at the speed I'm working when I'm framing, my tolerances would not be bothered by such a tiny little nib on the toe of the miter.

2 hours ago, sheperd80 said:

But if the HK85 ever comes to the US well... i might have to sell a kid or 2 and grab one cuz that thing is next-level.

Couldn't agree more !! If I heard this thing was coming here, I would hold off on the hk55 for sure. What a sweet machine. Definitely no faults. 

I agree and disagree with you as well shane lol. Hope were not derailing the thread here...

Youre right i dont do alot of cut-n-stack framing. I work mostly on huge customs with trusses and im primarily a finish carpenter. But sometimes we do frame poolhouses, cabanas, patio covers, etc where i would use those cuts. And several times a year ill do fascia repairs and complete teardown/replace jobs as sidework.

Those occaisional jobs alone do not warrant a tracksaw. But adding those abilities and the FSK awesomeness to a fully capable sheet-good saw would warrant the cost of the HK for me, versus a Makita which would be limited use.

Regarding the splinters left behind, youre right its not a big deal but i can cut good fascia miters freehand, the HK would have to do it better and faster to warrant using it.

Obviously its a personal choice thing. It looks a great saw, just depends on the intended use.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I kinda agree and kinda don't. Seriously, how often are you making these types of cuts? And the 1 mm nib left on the toe of the miter is really going to bother your "rough" framing? I think people went a little nuts with this shortfall. I jumped on the bandwagon at first and was like, "stupid Festool, how could they !" But when i really thought about how this saw would be used, i realized its not really that big an issue. How many houses do you frame a year? And of those houses, how many are you building that require a built on site rafter roof? All the houses we've ever done have been with trusses. 

I don't cut 45° with a small saw unless the 10" or 14" are not available. Maybe they do things differently in Canada? I'd set up a cut station with a 7" worm gear straight and a 10" on bevels. Seriously though, what North American wants to frame with Festool? Much cheaper options are plenty good for framing. These FT saws are more for sheet goods. I am not trying to talk them down, just trying for some context. 

EDIT: Just took a spin through their marketing. No way I want a track on a framing job. Tolerances are not required beyond my ability to freehand or square brace. I will be curious to see if I ever see one on the job. 

I don't cut 45° with a small saw unless the 10" or 14" are not available. Maybe they do things differently in Canada? I'd set up a cut station with a 7" worm gear straight and a 10" on bevels. Seriously though, what North American wants to frame with Festool? Much cheaper options are plenty good for framing. These FT saws are more for sheet goods. I am not trying to talk them down, just trying for some context. 

EDIT: Just took a spin through their marketing. No way I want a track on a framing job. Tolerances are not required beyond my ability to freehand or square brace. I will be curious to see if I ever see one on the job. 

True. I wouldn't do production framing with it. I might use it more for reno work, small framing jobs, decks etc. When i was a production framer we had nothing but a bunch of 7 1/4" . Nothing more.

I'm just saying, not being able to cut a 45 on the track would not stop me from buying this saw.

I

Those occaisional jobs alone do not warrant a tracksaw. But adding those abilities and the FSK awesomeness to a fully capable sheet-good saw would warrant the cost of the HK for me, versus a Makita which would be limited use.

Totally agree.

• Like 1