Refinishing questions - circle sawn floor & pine logs in shower room

loghomenovice

Hi!  I am a complete novice to woodworking who recently became responsible for maintenance of a log home.  I have two refinishing questions and any input would be much appreciated!

1.  Circle sawn fir flooring - My fir floors are in dire need of refinishing.  They were installed about 10 years ago and only finished with one coat of DuraSeal polyurethane for wood floors.  I've been advised to screen (probably 3 times...starting with a more aggressive 30-grit, then 60-grit, and finishing with 80-grit) and then refinish with up to 3 heavy coats.  Thoughts on that plan?  Is DuraSeal the best product for this application or are there others I should look in to? (see first two photos of floor)

2.  I have pine logs in my bathroom that are exposed to shower water.  They are starting to show staining, but still "sound" structurally solid when I knock on them.  I was planning to sand and finish these too.  Any recommendations for products to refinish?  Fill in cracks?  Etc? (see third photo)

Thanks SO much!

floorI.jpg

floorII.jpg

shower.jpg

For rustic floors in a log cabin, those don't look bad at all. Going 30 - 60 - 80 grit is pretty radical I think. That will tend to remove those saw marks, which is OK if that's what you are after. I bet just a light sanding with 120 grit would hit the high spots enough to remove the gray stuff and would be a lot less work

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't put a 30 grit screen on a Pine floor.  The coarsest I'd use would be 60 grit, but I'd try 80 first.  I would even use 150 between coats (actually, I'd use the Norton pads, but you have to buy a whole box of them).

I have no experience with Duraseal.  In fact, I don't even know what it is.  If it's a moisture cure urethane, it can't be recoated, and the whole floor will have to be sanded down to bare wood, which a buffer with sanding screen won't do to MCU.  If it's only a 10 year old MCU finish, the 30 grit might not even scratch it.   Even if it's not an MCU, there are few floor finishes that can be recoated.

Sorry, no help on the logs without getting my hands on them.