Alternate Apron Designs

AMarshall

A few weeks ago I posted some alternate versions of the side legs for the Adirondack Chair. Seems like I can't leave this design alone, and I have been playing with some different versions of the front apron. There were some good suggestions in the other thread, and pixels are free in SketchUp so here are some pics of my alternate versions.

As a reminder, this is the original published version of the chair, as Marc is building it. The bottom of the side legs have a simple curve and the slots in the front apron are straight, like the Gamble house dining table used as inspiration.

85555f4d.png

This is the alternate leg that I decided to use for my chair. It has a single cloud lift under the front edge.

8ec4c711.png

After seeing this, some folks suggested a version of the apron that has the cloud lift element also. Voila, here it is...let's call this "Alternate 1".

ac4d42f6.png

and again from the front...

99967e5b.png

"Alternate 1" might be a little plain, since I removed the slots in the apron. Whatcha think?

Here is "Alternate 2", with the original slots added back to the apron and keeping the cloud lifts...

b6f3f865.png

Too busy? What do you guys think?

Finally, here is "Alternate 3" with a different set of slots in the front. I thought about simply routing them with a 1/2" and 3/4" bit, following the top curve of the template. This makes an interesting set of curved slots that pay homage to the original Greene & Greene design but kind of go in a different direction. All the edges would be softened of course in the real world.

41eb41d8.png

...and a view from the front, still "Alternate 3"...

04d4263f.png

Thanks for any feedback on these aprons. As always, I'm eager to hear what you guys have to say.

Aaron

nice! has anyone come up with alternatives for the butt slats? in particular the front one....i think it could use some sort of embellishment ie every other part has some sort of design feature except the butt slats. any ideas appreciated.

cheers

adam

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys, as always. "Real Life" has kept me out of the shop for the past month, but I think I can escape this weekend. I have 99% decided to do the cloud lift on the front apron, just to be different. I'll try mocking up the grooves as a pyramid shape, that's a great idea (thanks Chip)!