Joining Guild debate, why did you choose clearvue

HughReeves

Marc,

So first of all I wanted to acknowledge what a big role you have played in my decline into woodworking obsession. Over the last year I have watched all of your free videos, built several of the things from them, spent more money than I care to admit on serious professional tools (SawStop PCS, Jet 12" Jointer/Planer, Rikon 18" bandsaw, tons of hand tools, etc) and just ordered 200 BF of hard maple for my future roubo workbench. I have 2 main questions for you:

1) As you can imagine, my Rigid shopvac cannot keep up with the tools listed above. After very little woodwork, I find myself wading through sawdust. I have been buying tools with the mindset of investing heavily now in an attempt to buy my "tools for life" (i.e. will be plenty for me as I grow my shop size/skill level/etc). I am now on the verge of ordering a large cyclone DC and keep coming back to the clearvue/Pentz gravitational pull which I have noticed you succumbed to. Is there a reason you went with that one? I have major concerns about its durability over the years. Having never touched one, I cant get a feel for how much this thing could hold up to an accidental knock from a swinging board or whatever. If the clearvue didnt exist I would get the Oneida Pro2000. Any thoughts about the pros/cons b/w the two?

2) As I mentioned above, I have a bunch of hard maple headed my way for a future Roubo bench. I like the benchcrafted design/plan/convenience and am seriously considering joining the guild to take advantage of the saving on both the guild & hardware. That being said, I am a resident physician and find myself rarely able to get anywhere near my woodshop during normal business hours. A lot of the appeal of the guild seems to be the community/live podcasts/online assistance and I feel like I wouldnt really be able to take much advantage of that. I guess if you have to wake up to feed Mateo you could also use that time to login and feed me woodworking pearls of wisdom as well (kidding).

Again, thank you for all you have done for getting me involved in such a amazing and rewarding craft. I must admit, it hurt my feeling a little when you opted not to post the box I made a while ago for my nephew and submitted on your website (I mean common, it had the router-based inlayed letters in the top that YOU taught me how to do). No hard feelings, I suppose. My wife actually suggested I write you and ask you about the dust collector question (most likely b/c she was sick of listening to me waffle back and forth) and I froze a little bit. People who appear on my TV and I never talk to are clearly filed in my brain under "celebrities you don't email". Anyway, thank you again and would really appreciate your incite on the ?'s above.

All the best,

Hugh

http://lumberjocks.com/hughreeves

So first of all I wanted to acknowledge what a big role you have played in my decline into woodworking obsession.

Always glad to help spend someone else'e money! :)

Is there a reason you went with that one? I have major concerns about its durability over the years. Having never touched one, I cant get a feel for how much this thing could hold up to an accidental knock from a swinging board or whatever. If the clearvue didnt exist I would get the Oneida Pro2000. Any thoughts about the pros/cons b/w the two?

Can't really comment much on the Oneida. But the ClearVue is more than durable enough for the shop. Don't be put off by the fact that it is plastic. Festool tools are mostly plastic. :) I have moved mine three times and it's working just fine. Eventually, I have to imagine some of the MDF parts will suffer from wear just because I moved it around so much. But if you plan on having it in one place, I think you're set for life. If the specs meet your requirements, I say go for it.

A lot of the appeal of the guild seems to be the community/live podcasts/online assistance and I feel like I wouldnt really be able to take much advantage of that.

Well, the good thing about the internet and video content is that you can view it on your own schedule. Forum posts and emails can be written at your convenience. So while you might have to watch the occasional live demo via the recorded version, all other aspects of the Guild are available to you even if you have a busy day schedule.

I must admit, it hurt my feeling a little when you opted not to post the box I made a while ago for my nephew and submitted on your website.

We handle all projects in the order received. If you can believe it, we have a massive backlog. So don't let your feelings be hurt. There are just a pile of projects on top of yours. :)

"celebrities you don't email".

Hehe.....celebrity... You hear that forum people?? :)