one large dust collector/several small?

1 post in this topic

Posted · Report post

been thinking of adding some better dust collection to the school. i dont know if i want to push the school to buy a big unit that would involve duct work ect.... or if i want to just get several smaller 1hp dust collectors.

1hp unit unit for router,jointer and planer.

1hp unit for 2 large belt sanders and palm sanding station

1hp unit for 2 band saws radial arm saw

1 hp unit for sliding miter saw and drill press

i priced some local porter cable dust collectors that was 150 dollers each

or i can buy a 4-5hp dust collector for all my machines......

the shop length is 95 feet with 10 average machines and we can aften have 3-4 machines going at once.

what we have now is a 1hp unit that is spread out over too large a space with a couple shop vacs to help out as we need them.

would it be just as usefull to have several dust collectors spread out to different sections of the shop or should we invest in a unit that can suck dust from the entire shop?

honestly not shure that i cans swing a big unit so what kind of comparison will i have with several small units to a big one?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Hi im mark
      By mat60 · Posted
      Not having much luck with pics but I have my busness on facebook because its free but Im not shore if its ok to post that so i will tell you that my name is Mark Mathews from Readfield  Maine ..I just build cabinets and dont have the talent as alot of you...I build simple cabinets with ply boxes with dados and rabbits frunt and back to except back and face frame..Rased and flat pannel doors and dove tale joints....I do nice work but have no Idea how to do alot of things that you guys can and I wish sometimes I did not this for a living because it would be a lot of fun to take your time doing anything you want and not worry about money.Thanks Mark
    • Use Nails or Glue & Biscuits
      By wdwerker · Posted
      #20 should work. Cut a slot in a scrap the cut the slot in half. If the thinnest point is about an 1/8 you are fine. There is a depth adjustment and most machines actually cut a bit too deep. When there is only a tiny extra space the biscut needs to be centered carefully . # 10 should be strong enough if  the #20 is too close. i would glue the joints in the sides and  dry biscuit  the bottom for alignment. Then put screws between the biscuits  to attach it. are you still planning on a plastic liner of some sort ?
    • Barn type sliding door
      By wdwerker · Posted
      It was amazing how much material we had to reject, then sort the range of color and percentage of remaining paint. I put the most paint near the top as if it was under the eaves. Least paint at the bottom where sun ,rain and mud splashing up should have weathered it the most. Had to flatten the backs yet keep a varied thickness to avoid looking to perfect. Tried to not have too many nail holes in one cluster. Rustic isn't as easy as it looks !
    • Clean up hose
      By wdwerker · Posted
      I read the title and my evil brain said " put her in the bathtub ". <grin>
    • Recent Forum Posts
      By wdwerker · Posted
      Right column has "Posts" and " new content is on the right under" search" both should work for what you want.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room