duckkisser

one large dust collector/several small?

1 post in this topic

been thinking of adding some better dust collection to the school. i dont know if i want to push the school to buy a big unit that would involve duct work ect.... or if i want to just get several smaller 1hp dust collectors.

1hp unit unit for router,jointer and planer.

1hp unit for 2 large belt sanders and palm sanding station

1hp unit for 2 band saws radial arm saw

1 hp unit for sliding miter saw and drill press

i priced some local porter cable dust collectors that was 150 dollers each

or i can buy a 4-5hp dust collector for all my machines......

the shop length is 95 feet with 10 average machines and we can aften have 3-4 machines going at once.

what we have now is a 1hp unit that is spread out over too large a space with a couple shop vacs to help out as we need them.

would it be just as usefull to have several dust collectors spread out to different sections of the shop or should we invest in a unit that can suck dust from the entire shop?

honestly not shure that i cans swing a big unit so what kind of comparison will i have with several small units to a big one?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Financial problems, embezzled money. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    • Nice boards. Good luck with the studying and the car trouble Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    • . Cut your hole oversized in 1/4" ply. Then offset the difference with a bushing. Be careful with the wheel and circle cutter...it's a terrifying tool. After lots of test pieces, double stick tape or clamp to your workpiece. Make copious notes on your template.
    • I will be using a trim router and I have done irregular shapes freehand, but thought a pattern bit would work better for a regular shape.  I have made mortise templates, just not something round.  Whatever solution I come up with will need to be non-maring so probably a clamp on deal.  Measured the larger of the two patches I need to recess for and it is 3 & 7/8 inch across.  Appreciate the input.
    • I am about to embark on my second project.  This will be a display case made from Walnut.   I got the basic idea from photos I saw on a forum somewhere (I don't remember where).   The case will be ~ 24" high x 20" wide x 3" deep.  There will be adjustable 1/2" thick shelves (three or four - I haven't firmed that up yet).  Also, I may be putting a dado in the bottom center of each shelf to hold an LED lighting strip.  I want to use glass inset for the door, and I've never done this before.  From what I've been reading here, it sounds like I should put a rabbet in the back side of the door frame (the frame will be 1.5 - 2 inches wide) and then use clear caulk (Lexel or similar) to fasten the glass in. Is that all there is to it, or should I do more? The other thing I'd like to do is use a mirror on the back, but I also don't know how to go about doing that.  It seems that if the back is going to be mostly covered by the mirror, I could use 1/4" plywood or something for reduction of both cost and weight.  But if any of it would end up being visible then I wouldn't want to do that.  Then there is the question of how best to fasten the mirror.  Maybe I could use the same method as the door (mount the mirror in the back of a frame)?  In that case, I would obviously use Walnut instead of plywood. Any help / advice / pointers would be greatly appreciated!
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room