Cupcake Wars

atogrf1

Yes, you read this right.

My daughter is a big fan of Cupcake Wars, so I watch it with her. A little Daddy/Daughter time.

Anyway, if you have ever seen the show, you will know that reality TV is sooooooooo not real.

There is a part of the show near the end where these carpenters need to create a 1,000 cupcake display in TWO HOURS. There is NOOOOOO WAAAAAY these things are created in 2 hours.

If you ever get the chance, check it out and see what you think.

I think this actually brings up a very good point, and is definitely a source of frustration for the new woodworker. We see on TV complete, sometimes very complex, projects built in less than 30 minutes on the show. It really is deceiving as to how long a project takes to complete. In many cases, what you see being built on the show is the second or third version of the project being built. The craftsman building the project most likely spent weeks planning the project, building any jigs, working around unexpected problems, and so on. That is the great thing about about Marc's Guild Builds, is you get a much more realistic idea of how long it takes a project to come together.

I agree, Mike. It would be very nice if at the end of the project, the craftsman would acknowledge the time in entiriety spent on the project. I have seen it only a few times. One of the few was Scott Phillips with his Windsor chair....at the very end he said this was a 40+ hour building project.

I've been watching a show called "Kitchen Cousins" where they re-model peoples kitchens in a week or less.

I'm sure that if they really strip out, re-wire, re-plumb and perhaps remove a wall or two in a week that there are more than the two guys and a camera crew at the job site.

And they never show anyone cleaning up the mess of broken Sheetrock and wall studs that is created when removing the back splash or a wall.

I trust that the job is really done in a week but, at what cost money wise and how many man hours were spent?

Rog

I know someone that worked closely on an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition a few years ago and insists it really took no longer than they portray on the show. On the other hand I have a relative that was on the old Junk Yard Wars and he was clear that they were given way more time to complete tasks than what the aired version indicates. So who knows?

You should also know that people who are on the receiving end of the one week kitchens or two day make-overs have to hold harmless the TV shows. There have been times the recipient has tried suing the contractors because the work was little more than a lick and a promise. It comes down to "do it in a week" or "do it right". As we all know, one typically takes longer.

If you have ever watched property brothers you will notice how poorly they pre-inspect the houses. On one show the bought a house that had a dropped ceiling that was covering up a multiple of problems. How hard would it have been to just climb up on a ladder and lift a panel? It would have made Mike Holmes cringe.

Jim

I helped my niece and her husband remodel their bathroom a couple of years ago. They are both big DIY channel fans. We ended up having to compleatly gut the thing.

When I got there he said he had taken 3 days off work and that shoud be plenty of time. I just agreed and went on. At the end of the first day that was about 10 hours he looked at me with a puzzled look and said "I don't think we can finish in three days!" I said ya think? This ain't the DIY channel man, this is real life! It took us a full seven days.

Those shows definitely skew reality!

Cupcake Wars,lol..The carpenters always find what they need to complete a 1000 cupcake display by finding just the right thing in the prop room..Lmao..Monster Truck Tires? An old motor from a ceiling fan to spin a turn table?

Shakes head...2 hours is bogus too..Glad to know other people think this besides me my fiance..

If you have ever watched property brothers you will notice how poorly they pre-inspect the houses. On one show the bought a house that had a dropped ceiling that was covering up a multiple of problems. How hard would it have been to just climb up on a ladder and lift a panel? It would have made Mike Holmes cringe.

Jim

You actually can't do what Mike Holmes does on his inspection show as a real home inspector. They are limited in many ways. They are not suppose to move tiles from drop ceilings and things that could possibly break. He does what he does cause he is already going to be there to actually fix the problems with the house.

I work in the construction industry and it drives me crazy when customers say well I saw they redo an entire kitchen in 3 days on DIY. Why is it going to take you 2 weeks and cost so much. And i have to then explain to them that they rarely show the inspection process from the city which they have one on site most of the time. And the fact that that kitchen cost about 5 times what I am charging cause i don't have 300 guys working 3 20hr days. Also the fact that all the material is ordered and ready to go the day of. Please i have never seen supplies be that organized lol.

You actually can't do what Mike Holmes does on his inspection show as a real home inspector. They are limited in many ways. They are not suppose to move tiles from drop ceilings and things that could possibly break. He does what he does cause he is already going to be there to actually fix the problems with the house.

If that is the case, I think it is a shame. I have worked with dropped ceilings and they are made to be removed for repairs. Besides, this house was in such bad shape little damage could have been done. From what I have heard there are good inspectors and bad ones. The ones that are too thorough don't get recommended by realtors because they want to close the deal and not make waves. I think Mike Holmes does kind of lay it on a little thick.

I bought and remodeled three commercial buildings. I always assembled a team of people including and architect to see what was there and what needed to be done. I also had an insurance man look at the building. We even did scans of the sewer lines. If the owner was reluctant it was a bad sign and we rarely pursued it beyond that point.

I think finding problems adds to the suspense of the show. I doubt if basements just start leaking and other problems emerge.

Jim

I work in the construction industry and it drives me crazy when customers say well I saw they redo an entire kitchen in 3 days on DIY. Why is it going to take you 2 weeks and cost so much. And i have to then explain to them that they rarely show the inspection process from the city which they have one on site most of the time. And the fact that that kitchen cost about 5 times what I am charging cause i don't have 300 guys working 3 20hr days. Also the fact that all the material is ordered and ready to go the day of. Please i have never seen supplies be that organized lol.

I agree. Things just don't happen that quickly. I also doubt their costs incurred.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...