Router in the Extension Table

Floydflame

Looking at the pictures under "Help For Mobile Bases", my mind went elsewhere. I like the table saw/base set up. I am about to put my router in my table saw right side extension table. Logistically, I would orient it for standing at the front of the saw at the fence slide area. My son said no, that it should be oriented to work off of the end of the table so the fence is behind the cutting head.

Marc's comment agrees with my son. So, OK. I will orient it to work with the fence. Then, how far back off the edge of the table? How much work room do you need in front of the cutter?

My table saw sits so that I can open my garage door and cut anything up to a 3 foot cut (then the wall gets in the way).If I work off the end for my router, I will have to pull the saw out. Not too big a deal if my wife's car gets moved.

I would like some ideas from those who have thought this out themselves. I know I am not the first with this dilemma.