Onion and Potato Hutch

pghmyn

Since I finally got the shop in a "working" order, I decided I would try to put together my first project. Nothing fancy, or anything that requires precision - really. Just something that would be able to test my table saw and jointer.

My dad recently built a small hutch/cabinet for potatoes, onions, homemade jam, and so on. I really liked this idea, and so did my fiance's parents. They just have the onions and potatoes sit on a table in the back hallway. Sometimes they fall off and go all over the place when the dog hits the table.

The wood is nothing more than cheap 1x6x8 and 1x8x8 whitewood from the big orange box. The stuff is cheap, and gets the job done for now. I'm not worried about sanding pieces completely flat or getting rid of all the gaps.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought 2x 6" clamps, 4x 18" clamps, and 2x 30" clamps. Basic assortment of sizes that can get me through the project. Only cost me $28 and they actually seem to have some quality for their price.

The piece will probably have Tung Oil, or just a clear spray on coat of something easy to do. This piece will never be seen by anyone but us since it will be going into the basement.

I will get pictures as I go, or will try to at least. I glued up a panel today, and while it was drying it gave me a chance to make a "good-enough" cross cut sled.

Should have been the first thing I did, but the next project of mine is a simple bench. Just some 2x4's and MDF most likely. Once I start making some more projects to sell, I can start to invest more into the space :)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had much time to work on it, but what I have put together so far is right on par of what I wanted. I made it from cheap white wood pieces from Home Depot. This was my intention, since I am going to paint it white, then give it a distressed look. I didn't want to buy some nice wood, then mess the hell out of it :) Basically, I am going for a country look. Nothing too exact, measurements on the fly, and just something functional.

There are three parts that will store whatever my fiance's family wants. The top two will have two hinges on the bottom and a magnetic clip on the top inside the space.

cabinet2_zpsf7c541c6.jpg

This is how the bottom will open:

cabinet3_zps666077fe.jpg