Screws or brads?

went_postal

Brads and glue will be more than sufficient. I tend to think in these terms.. If it's just going to sit in one place and support less than 250 lbs at a time.. brads & glue are fine. If it's going to be moved around and have to suppoer very heavy loads.. glue & screws.

In the end..... Glue, screws, and brads were used. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

The dadoes were TIGHT. I probably could have gotten it up just on the friction alone. In the end I chose to use the screws to pull the joint tight.

I did wind up making a design decision on the fly and went with 1/4 ply on the back without the space for the cleat. I was out of square by about 1/32 over 2 feet so I used the ply to square thing up and attached it with brads. Hoping brads will be enough... Looks good so far.

Face frame and doors left to go.

I was gonna say to use screws on the carcase of the cabinet if they don't show to help pull every thing together. That way you don't have to deal with clamps. But you already found that out,. always like to have some sort of mechanical fastener holding the cabinet together even if the glue is stronger then the wood.

I was gonna say to use screws on the carcase of the cabinet if they don't show to help pull every thing together. That way you don't have to deal with clamps. But you already found that out,. always like to have some sort of mechanical fastener holding the cabinet together even if the glue is stronger then the wood.

The size of the cabinet was one of the other reasons for the screws... The cabinet is 46"W x 34"H x 13"D... I do NOT own a clamp that goes 46". So.. It was either go Norm and use brads as a "clamp" or screw into the side of the case that won't be seen. =)