Wood Filler

NYHump

Hi All,

Just a quick question for you guys and gals. I want to make my own wood filler paste. I have a lot of sandpaper dust for each type of wood and want to know what I can mix it with to make a filler paste that will harden and will accept shellac or varnish. Should be an easy one guys and gals, save for me :(

Thanks,

NYHump

I spose it depends on how much you want to fill. When I do inlay, I mix some sawdust of the wood I am using with elmers and voila, wood filler. But keep in mind, this is for very small offsets and such.

I have no idea if it would work with bigger imperfections and how that would take a finish.

Derekkest,

These are small imperfections. Glue doesn't work because it doesn't accept the shellac.

I use saw/sanding dust and shellac mixture for filler all the time. I use dewaxed clear shellac and the dust from the orignal piece(s) of wood and mix into the paste/consistancy that suits me or the problem. Sometimes thiner and sometimes thicker as required.

The only problem is if you brush on another layer of shellac for sealer or finish, dont brush too heavy on the filled area because the shellac will desolve the filler as it will want to blend into it. It is still noticable but not as bad as other fillers or glue that wont take the stain at all.

Oh yea, almost forgot, if the wood is already stained or you plan to stain it, you can add stain to the mixture of filler befor you use it to blend a little better.

Rog

Rog is right.

The best filler for small areas is sawdust and shellac. Mix it like he described and then overfill the area. Sand the excess immediately with 400 grit. Then go back and fill it again. This time let it sit until it dries. It turns light when dry. Sand the excess off again. Keep repeating until the void is filled and flush. Then finish like Rog described.

Hope that helps!

I use saw/sanding dust and shellac mixture for filler all the time. I use dewaxed clear shellac and the dust from the orignal piece(s) of wood and mix into the paste/consistancy that suits me or the problem. Sometimes thiner and sometimes thicker as required.

The only problem is if you brush on another layer of shellac for sealer or finish, dont brush too heavy on the filled area because the shellac will desolve the filler as it will want to blend into it. It is still noticable but not as bad as other fillers or glue that wont take the stain at all.

Oh yea, almost forgot, if the wood is already stained or you plan to stain it, you can add stain to the mixture of filler befor you use it to blend a little better.

Rog

Roger,

Thanks, thats the answer I wanted to hear. I was thinking of doing that and just wanted to see if anyone out there has done it.