Wood table base for a granite top

boojovi

hello all : )

i am not a woodworker,  just someone who is trying to save a bit of $ on a very modest kitchen remodel.

i used  a leftover 28" x 45" piece of granite for a table and am trying to make the least expensive base possible.  

it has an edge that creates  a 1.25" gap for plywood. some nice millwork legs are the only main cost i hope to incur, aside from my contractors time. i think  the past comments on your blog were for a table roughly twice the size that i am creating, so i'm wondering if i can i get away with 4 legs and some type of cross support under the granite, without any of the extra bits.

thanks !

Lisa

Not a woodworker .... yet!

It all really depends on the weight of the granite and how likely you think it, and things placed on it, and kids climbing on it, and people leaning on it, are going to make the legs splay out.  I'm thinking you'll need some sort of aprons at the least pulling the tops of the legs together and adding support.