Landing net finishing

alancrist

I make landing nets and don't have a lot of experience with different finishing techniques.  I have used polyurethane and spar urethane mostly.  I think the spar urethane has better UV protection, and flexibility, but it yellows the wood more than I like.  It is also hard to apply without drips and brush marks.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips on good finishing techniques and products (or concoctions) for finishing landing nets.  When in use, they don't stay wet a long time, but need some water resistance, of course, probably more UV protection than anything and flexibility.  I was also wondering if I can put some sort of wax over spar urethane to kind of buff it and polish it up, maybe hiding the brush marks, etc.  Would appreciate some help.post-13761-0-42884400-1364438223_thumb.jpost-13761-0-70049900-1364438232_thumb.j

Alan, welcome to the forum. Nice looking nets.....make me want to go trout fishing. If you don't like the spar varnish, then the first thing that comes to mind for me is a long proven marine finish ...West System epoxy. It gives you a lot of flexibility with the different catalyst options and you can even tint it if need be. Boatworks uses it a lot and can give you even better advise on its different uses. I've used it a lot on outdoor furniture and trim.

Hey Alan,

Welcome to the forum :).  I think if it were me I would look at applying a few coats of a clear epoxy and finish off with 2-3 coats of spar varnish.  Going about it this way the light wood won't yellow.  For this kind of finishing I like to use west system epoxy with their 207 clear hardener.  It cures water clear (no tint or color) and if you're able to stick with it over the course of a day you can apply 3-4 coats of the epoxy without having to sand giving you a thick base to build off of. 

After it cures you'll definitely need to sand it smooth, then apply the varnish (my preference is Pettit Flagship varnish).  Both the epoxy and varnish have UV blockers.  Apply the varnish straight out of the can with a foam brush and it will look like an heirloom piece :P ..

Beautiful nets by the way!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and compliments.  I will definitely get some of that West System Epoxy.  Thanks for the link.  What would be the purpose in putting spar over top of the epoxy?  I am also, as I mentioned, interested in knowing about wax finishes like carnauba wax (heating them up, mixing with other products, etc.) as I've heard some people incorporate them into some of their finishes.  Any thoughts out there?

The varnish is for added UV protection..  As far as adding wax for an exterior finish I don't know that it would have any benefit.  As far as I know that's something used mostly for interior work :)

Adding wax on something that would potentially need "touch ups" down the road would complicate the process as the wax would mess with adding any kind of finish over it..  

If you decide to try this, please post some follow up pics! 

If you go on Youtube and search for varnish over epoxy there are some tutorials on the specifics :P

They are Brodin net bags, which are rubber net bags.  These are a clear, not black.  They are much gentler on the fish and your hook and line don't get tangled at all.  They dry quick too.  You can order one or many.  I have gotten him to give me free shipping when I order about 10 at a time, otherwise shipping is $5 a piece.  Large net bags are $25 and extra large are $28.  Those are the two I buy.  Go to brodindirect.com and click on accessories.  You'll find the dimensions of each one so you can decide which is best for what you want.