General finishes RTM stain

dwacker

Ill start off saying this is one of General finishes pro products. I dont know why they keep it in that product line other than the fact that they offer predetermined formulas. Personally Id love to see this stuff on the shelves at places like Rockler and Woodcraft.

The stains can be sprayed NO wipe or wiped either way is fine. Sprayed the colors are more solid and work better on blotch prone woods like poplar.

Mixing is as easy as it gets. The formulas use the part system. Parts can be any liquid measure for example cups, 1/2 cups, ounces, milliliters it really doesnt matter what you use. The system is very consistent so if you need more of the same color your safe to just mix more. There are eleven cans in total and I do suggest buying all eleven.

These stains dont have the feel of their other stains. The retail stains seem thicker so you do have to move quicker when wiping. IMO they work better than the retail versions.

Now for the drawback. GF wants you to buy the formulas for about $250. The formulas can be found online but the photos are not very good but it can be a good way for you to get started making your own color chips. IMO buying the color chip set with the book is a good investment but you can get by without it.

Ill be happy to answer any questions that I can and would give these stains a thumbs up for anyone needing variety.

Took you long enough! Glad ya stop drinking the "Target" water.

I think General Finishes was thinking RTM system for retail. They sorta made an attempt. Certain Woodcraft stores had display racks with various color samples/recipes on wood, using their retail products to achieve various colors. The store by me had it.

Not sure how it went?

-Ace-

Took you long enough! Glad ya stop drinking the "Target" water.

I think General Finishes was thinking RTM system for retail. They sorta made an attempt. Certain Woodcraft stores had display racks with various color samples/recipes on wood, using their retail products to achieve various colors. The store by me had it.

Not sure how it went?

-Ace-

I still like target top coats but am warming up to GF the further I get away from production work. Ive used the RTM system for about 6 or 8 months and think GF hit a home run with this product line.