What's the best way to keep my hand planes rust free?

Sinister

I don't use my hand planes often but I like to keep them handy for when I do. I hang them by their front handle in a home made wall cabinet that is not enclosed. I don't want to put them in socks. I've noticed some surface rust starting to appear on a plane that I bought several months ago. Currently, I just try and keep them clean and dry. My shop isn't especially humid but it does get dusty. Is there a technique or specific product for keeping them oiled that won't attract dust and is maintenance free enough for me not to have to worry about them for months at a time? Is a silicone spray a bad idea? I know that silicone would mess up a finish but I don't see it transferring to the wood, especially since I sand after I plane.

I would be interested in anyone's plane care techniques. Storing them in socks and in a chest with camphor is probably the best answer, but I like keeping them handy and displayed.

You might find this post of interest.

I don't use my hand planes often but I like to keep them handy for when I do. I hang them by their front handle in a home made wall cabinet that is not enclosed. I don't want to put them in socks. I've noticed some surface rust starting to appear on a plane that I bought several months ago. Currently, I just try and keep them clean and dry. My shop isn't especially humid but it does get dusty. Is there a technique or specific product for keeping them oiled that won't attract dust and is maintenance free enough for me not to have to worry about them for months at a time? Is a silicone spray a bad idea? I know that silicone would mess up a finish but I don't see it transferring to the wood, especially since I sand after I plane.

I would be interested in anyone's plane care techniques. Storing them in socks and in a chest with camphor is probably the best answer, but I like keeping them handy and displayed.

For my planes I keep them in a drawer away from dust. I also have a "woobie" (ala Schwarz) that has been soaked in Camellia oil. Before putting any plane away I wipe all the surfaces down with the rag and put a little bit of beeswax on the sole so it is ready to go next time. The beeswax offers some protection but is more for making the tool move through the work easier.

Dust and lack of a humidity controlled shop can quickly cause rust on tools. Also my left thumb seems to also have that effect, at least on my jointer and LA jack planes.

I would recomend the following: 1. A closable box with a shelf for the planes, with a very small light bulb inside to keer the tempature up and the humidity down. 2. A piece of lamb skin with some sewing machine oil worked into it. Wipe the unpainted areas of the plane with the lamb skin before storing them in the closed box. Wipe the plane with a cotton cloth before using it.

Drats!! another plot foiled again....

I keep a dehumidifier running in the basement which helps. I coat the sole/sides with paraffin for smooth planing, but with the dry conditions, it's all I need. I've found I've only had problems where the sole touches a surface, so the paraffin works well enough. good luck.

All of the above works well. My shop does get pretty humid and I use my planes a lot. Usually the "woobie" rag wipes them down before putting them away. They are stored on an open shelf for now until I get a cabinet built. However, since I started working at the Steppingstone Museum I have learned about a product called Ballistol that was originally developed by the German army back in World War I to protect metal, leather, and more. The idea was for the soldier to be able to carry one product to protect all his gear. It comes in liquid and spray and you can get it many places online as well as in Sporting Goods stores. While we have a lot of wooden planes, we also have a lot of cast iron in our Victorian era tools (planes, treadle saws/lathes). Our shop is open to the elements which in the Maryland summer is high heat and humidity, plus they get constant use and fingering from the museum visitors. We treat our tools really only once a year, but we also use the stuff as lube on the oil stones so our irons are constantly getting exposed. I have been working there all summer and have experience no ill effects and it doesn't interfere with oil or water based finishes. The Ballistol people claim that it is an environmentally friendly product so assuming this is accurate there can't be anything that bad in it. Needless to say, I have been really impressed with this stuff and it is so easy to use. Food for thought!

All of the above works well. My shop does get pretty humid and I use my planes a lot. Usually the "woobie" rag wipes them down before putting them away. They are stored on an open shelf for now until I get a cabinet built. However, since I started working at the Steppingstone Museum I have learned about a product called Ballistol that was originally developed by the German army back in World War I to protect metal, leather, and more. The idea was for the soldier to be able to carry one product to protect all his gear. It comes in liquid and spray and you can get it many places online as well as in Sporting Goods stores. While we have a lot of wooden planes, we also have a lot of cast iron in our Victorian era tools (planes, treadle saws/lathes). Our shop is open to the elements which in the Maryland summer is high heat and humidity, plus they get constant use and fingering from the museum visitors. We treat our tools really only once a year, but we also use the stuff as lube on the oil stones so our irons are constantly getting exposed. I have been working there all summer and have experience no ill effects and it doesn't interfere with oil or water based finishes. The Ballistol people claim that it is an environmentally friendly product so assuming this is accurate there can't be anything that bad in it. Needless to say, I have been really impressed with this stuff and it is so easy to use. Food for thought!

The "once a year" part is good to know. I have a couple planes that I very rarely use.

I also have a wooden jointer plane that was my great grandfather's. It has a split and I doubt it is true. I have no plans to use it but I have it displayed in my shop as a decoration. Is there a good way to keep it conserved? I'm sure the wood is bone dry now.

My shop is unheated and winters can reek havoc on cast iron , planes aren't spared . I keep most of my planes in festool systainers in plane socks . The systainers are a nice way to keep them mobile , I just take them in the house during the winter months . I'm sure the socks and my storage method are enough to fend off rust but I don't want to chance it . Also a good coat of furniture wax will help fight rust .

My shop is unheated and winters can reek havoc on cast iron , planes aren't spared . I keep most of my planes in festool systainers in plane socks . The systainers are a nice way to keep them mobile , I just take them in the house during the winter months . I'm sure the socks and my storage method are enough to fend off rust but I don't want to chance it . Also a good coat of furniture wax will help fight rust .

In a closed box like that, you could toss in some desiccant pillows to suck up any moisture that builds up in there. I bought some cans of it from Lee-Valley for bigger drawers, but the little pillows from bags of rice crackers or other Japanese snacks were my source before :)