Push Sticks

dinkjs

You know....the other day I was using one of my push sticks to push a board through.....the type I was using is where its shaped like a triangle, and the think is like 3/4" to a inch thick....And I was noticing how unstable it is. Now its fine on thin strips being ripped on a table saw but on wide boards really anything wider then 3 or 4 inches its highly unstable and you could technically have it fall on its side and your hand land on the blade as your pushing through. So I have been thinking about making my own push tool. I would like some opinions on this situation. What I am contemplating is the base of the push tool be as wide as maybe 2 to 3 inches and the handle part can be as thick as maybe standard 1 inch thick...this I believe would give good pushing momentum and at the same time not allow it to possibly fall over as your pushing through....it would have a 90º corner on the back end to hook or hold safely onto the board that is being pushed through.

So what are peoples opinions on wider push tools?

In a since it would have a base like a push block like used on planers....but tall enough to keep your hands away from the top of the blade

I like wider push blocks much better than skinny ones. Last Christmas I got the Micro-Jig from my Dad and love it, I am going to make a second one in the near future. It is a very versitile unit that you may want to take a look at for idea's, just a thought. No matter what a wider push block will be safer than a narrow one and what you are describing is a very common one that many like. Good luck.

Nate

You know....the other day I was using one of my push sticks to push a board through.....the type I was using is where its shaped like a triangle, and the think is like 3/4" to a inch thick....And I was noticing how unstable it is. Now its fine on thin strips being ripped on a table saw but on wide boards really anything wider then 3 or 4 inches its highly unstable and you could technically have it fall on its side and your hand land on the blade as your pushing through. So I have been thinking about making my own push tool. I would like some opinions on this situation. What I am contemplating is the base of the push tool be as wide as maybe 2 to 3 inches and the handle part can be as thick as maybe standard 1 inch thick...this I believe would give good pushing momentum and at the same time not allow it to possibly fall over as your pushing through....it would have a 90º corner on the back end to hook or hold safely onto the board that is being pushed through.

So what are peoples opinions on wider push tools?

In a since it would have a base like a push block like used on planers....but tall enough to keep your hands away from the top of the blade

John, do you have a picture of this triangle push stick? I'm having a hard time picturing it. David Marks uses, push sticks just like the one your describing.

This is my latest push stick, and I'm really happy with it.

gallery_818_183_8461.jpg

I also use a variation of the Woodsmith style push block. I like that it is stable and I can push it through the blade if needed and when it gets chewed up I can flip the block over to use the opposite side and then discard once totally used up. Scrap chunks of 2x4 work perfectly. Cheap, safe and quick to make.

Here is the type of push tool I use....I guess its not a triangle but close enough

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020398/22241/Milescraft-Push-Stick.aspx

Looking at the Woodsmith push tool...it looks way to top heavy...and the handle looks to close to the blade....thank you for the recommendation!!!!!

I think it's a case of looks can be deceiving. You might want to make one and see what you think. Just a suggestion.