Gator drum sander - not bad for $8.98

NJ_Mike

So I was at Lowe's to get some sandpaper thinking it sure would be nice to have a oscillating spindle sander.  I picked up what I needed and saw this: http://www.lowes.com/Search=gator+drum+sander?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=gator+drum+sander#!

I'm working on a rocking horse for my daughter, the charity build one, and there are some curves that need sanding.  I though for $8.98 I'll give it a shot.  Really it was $18.96 because I got  both sizes but who's counting.  Got it home, put it in the drill press,  bent some wire to hold my shop vac hose near the drum and started to sand away.  It worked pretty good and save me a lot of time.   They can sand a 3/4 inch think piece but no bigger.  If you don't have a spindle sander these are not bad to have around for the price.  

I have the same thing, works great. You am get 3 grits of paper and put a board down and sand away for not much of an investment. I do think if you are going to do a lot of curved pieces go get the Ridged spindle/ belt sander I have heard really good things about it.

I have the same thing, works great. You am get 3 grits of paper and put a board down and sand away for not much of an investment. I do think if you are going to do a lot of curved pieces go get the Ridged spindle/ belt sander I have heard really good things about it.