tiger spirit- figured zebrawood and walnut whisky box

lawrence

I was asked by my squadron to make a going away gift for our outgoing Chief, who is a longtime mentor and friend of mine for almost 20 years.  As I know he likes single malts (as do I) I mentioned that a bottle of decent scotch might make a nice gift and I offered to re-label and make a box for it.

Here is what I came up with and made this afternoon... the box is very simple glued and pinned butt joints and the lid rides in grooves (pencil box style)

The lid itself is a piece from an amazing board of zebrawood that I got some time ago-it has a beautiful stripe of figuring running down the middle and when finished it has a wonderful iridescent chatoyance.  This pic captures it better than the others.
P11404341024x768_zps5a556459.jpg

I carved the tiger and lettering on my carvewright and sprayed it with black ink.  The topcoat finish is sanding sealer followed by 4 coats of lacquer.  

The bottle itself is an 18-year Jura (ind. bottler) and I just printed and then spray glued on the new labels

Thanks for looking,

V/r
Lawrence
P11404421024x768_zps53d222a8.jpg

P11404601024x768_zps50f85b7b.jpg
P11404671024x768_zpsab1ac005.jpg

ldw- I love mine... but my opinion is pretty biased... because I love mine :)

The biggest problem I have is that CNC work kind of took over my woodworking...

If you look at my portfolio (linked below) you'll see that a lot of my stuff is done on the CW (heck, if you're ever in Tucson you're welcome to swing by and see it at work)

Lawrence