Vises -- Looking for "advice" on vises

nlwoodworker

I'm looking for help with purchasing a vise.

So far, I've been looking at these 3 - 9" models

Lee Valley $139 CDN

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49980&cat=1,41659

BusyBee tools -$119 CDN...

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/WOODWORK-VISE-QUICK-RELEASE-9IN..html

Home Hardware - $92 CDN (cheaper and appears to have similar functionality as the models above -- or am I missing something)

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I1079120/name/vise_woodworkers_9

So I haven't seen any of those in person, but the one thing I'd suggest is that you go see them in person. When I looked for a quick release vice like those, I also found that the prices varied quite a bit and usually the cheaper ones were pretty roughly cast... you'd need time with a file or Dremel+grinding wheel to clean up the nubs. That may not be the case between these when you see them in person, but just what I found out here.

So I haven't seen any of those in person, but the one thing I'd suggest is that you go see them in person. When I looked for a quick release vice like those, I also found that the prices varied quite a bit and usually the cheaper ones were pretty roughly cast... you'd need time with a file or Dremel+grinding wheel to clean up the nubs. That may not be the case between these when you see them in person, but just what I found out here.

Thanks very much. Agreed, it's always best to check out the item at the store where possible.

Thanks... this is good advice.

It kind of depends on the work you want to do, and the bench you'll be mounting it on. Pictures? =)

Hi Jonathan: This is a illustration from the plans of the workbench I built (from PlansNow.coM). ... it's very rugged built of 2 x 6s and 2 x 10s and should easily support a bench vise. Let me know your thoughts.

gallery_375_238_17670.jpg

Thanks very much,

Gary

Guest Mahoganus

Hi Jonathan: This is a illustration from the plans of the workbench I built (from PlansNow.coM). ... it's very rugged built of 2 x 6s and 2 x 10s and should easily support a bench vise. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks very much,

Gary

Well if you want to mount the vise on the end of your bench you might have to mod your bench some,,, they say not to mount the vise with screws in the end grain.

Thanks very much,

Gary

It looks like you're going to be doing power tool work on it. I think a Lee Valley face vise would be a good choice. Mounted on the front of your bench, towards one of the ends.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=49980&cat=1,41659

The Rockler quick release vises are not that bad either, but not a significant savings.

While the Record quick release vise isn't available anymore, there are some knock-offs available for a reasonable price. In the US Shop Fox is one. These vises use a lever to activate the quick release rather than the troublesome half nut/split nut designs. The Record design is, I think, a lot better and will give years of trouble free service. I've had to disassemble my Wilton half nut quick release a number of times over the years to clean the saw dust out of it so that the half nut will engage and allow the vise to close tightly.

Here's a link to Grizzly's listing of a Shop Fox Record style vise:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Quick-Release-Vise-9-Jaw/G9851