Inlay and arrowheads

Guest Mahoganus

Guest Mahoganus

Greene and Greene Gamble Bed

I'm just about to the point where I can start my inlay on the head and knee board. I'm going to inlay a Calvary Cross (walnut and Birdseye maple) on both the head and knee board but,, for the head board only I wanted to inlay a real flint arrowhead. I have thought about this a lot and it would be nice to come up with a way to remove the arrowhead from the head board and clean it and then place it back.

So how can I do this? I guess I can use magnets ,, glue one to the artifact (I dont like doing) and embed one in the head board under the spot I'm milling out for the arrowhead.

Would love to hear some other thoughts on this my brain is locked up on this I cant come up with any other ideas.

If you are reluctant to glue anything to the artifact, perhaps you can make a small frame that can fit into the recess after the arrow head to hold it in. The frame could be friction fit or held in place with magnets.

Or, a similar approach would be to build a small display box that has an open top with lips to hold the arrow head, and an open back to remove and replace the arrow head. Then, cut a cavity in the bed to receive the box.

Mahoganus,

I'm having a hard time with the idea of an inlay. To me, the Green and Green style is such a beautiful and complete statement that anything added to it will take away from it. The Green Bros thought through every detail, proportion and relationship of components and developed a unique vocabulary of design. Trying to embellish it IMHO will be a big mistake.

Unless, of course, you prove me wrong. ;)

Just trying to help.

Guest Mahoganus

If you are reluctant to glue anything to the artifact, perhaps you can make a small frame that can fit into the recess after the arrow head to hold it in. The frame could be friction fit or held in place with magnets.

Or, a similar approach would be to build a small display box that has an open top with lips to hold the arrow head, and an open back to remove and replace the arrow head. Then, cut a cavity in the bed to receive the box.

Thats a great idea! Thank you! I will ponder this idea.

Guest Mahoganus

Mahoganus,

I'm having a hard time with the idea of an inlay. To me, the Green and Green style is such a beautiful and complete statement that anything added to it will take away from it. The Green Bros thought through every detail, proportion and relationship of components and developed a unique vocabulary of design. Trying to embellish it IMHO will be a big mistake.

Unless, of course, you prove me wrong. ;)

Just trying to help.

Well my thoughts behind it,, Greene and Greene did there inlay of the tsubas and flowers because it was something they really liked or the Gambles liked,, since I'm building this bed for me I wanted to do inlay of stuff I like,, but now that you mention these facts I have to think about the whole aspect like ya say.

Thanks great input,, these are the ideas that one person being me always over looks.

Nice work. I don't have the cojones to consider inlay yet. :)

Greene and Greene Gamble Bed

I'm just about to the point where I can start my inlay on the head and knee board. I'm going to inlay a Calvary Cross (walnut and Birdseye maple) on both the head and knee board but,, for the head board only I wanted to inlay a real flint arrowhead. I have thought about this a lot and it would be nice to come up with a way to remove the arrowhead from the head board and clean it and then place it back.

So how can I do this? I guess I can use magnets ,, glue one to the artifact (I dont like doing) and embed one in the head board under the spot I'm milling out for the arrowhead.

Would love to hear some other thoughts on this my brain is locked up on this I cant come up with any other ideas.