Very Thick Medium CA Glue?

EdgewaterWW

I started to do a CA finish on a pen and noticed the medium glue was slow to pour, I picked up My bottle of Thick and it poured faster, the medium had thicken up. So the medium is no good for a CA finish, so I may just use it for glue for tubes. This is the first time this has happened to Me, the normal is to use it up fast, I took a break from Turning to do something called Woodworking.  :lol:

The bottle of Medium CA was over 6 months old and less than half full, I buy 2.5oz bottles and not 4.5oz just in case this happens.

I have read a lot about CA Glue online "do this, don't do that, do that, don't do this" some contradicting info.

Like cap on, cap off, store in refrigerator all the time, store in refrigerator till opening, heat is bad, cold is bad, toss it at 6 months, thin it with Acetone.

So I'm posting to find Your tips and tricks with storing/life of CA glue.  Thanks

I store my CA in the fridge. Never had a problem except the one bottle that didn't have a tight seal fell over and spilled out. I have a crisper drawer that is permanently closed and a can of soda permanently mounted to the door. :)

I used to store my CA in the shop (garage), but one year it got down to 19f in the shop and the bottles split open.

I have a large (8oz) bottle of Titebond medium that's lasted me over a year and it is still in good shape. Stills seems medium to me when compared to Titebond thick and thin.

Adam

I store CA glue in the freezer, not the fridge. I managed at least 2 years of shelf life before I used that bottle up.

Also, for finishing a surface with CA, I have better luck flooding it with the thinnest glue I can get. Just like using a very light cut of shellac, the thin CA allows me to control the buildup of the film, and avoid runs, drips, and brush marks better that the thicker CA. This makes a very nice, durable finish for wooden jewelry pieces.

I store CA glue in the freezer, not the fridge. I managed at least 2 years of shelf life before I used that bottle up.

I agree with storing in the freezer. Ive had the same bottle in my freezer for 3 years and it still works ok. I use it just before hunting season to fletch my arrows. Last year it was 2 years old and held up the whole season.

The low cost brand at Woodcraft is Stick Fast CA ($7.99). It's a ok price if You have a Store local, I have a store Local, but round trip for Me is about 2 gal. of Gas, that is higher then shipping for My fav mail order.

My place for all Pen, Bottle stoppers, Blanks and PSI brand is WoodnWhimsies!!!  CA at $6.75 2.5oz $11.39 4.6oz Careful to order the right glue, they have CA Glue and CA Wood Finish (for CA Finish on Pens etc.)

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com

Edit:   Shipping is low cost, it's by size not by price of items. I just order $51.59 for $5.45 shipping USPS priority mail.

. Tim is great He will refund shipping if the web site charges higher than the box the order fits in.

Edited by Doug-EdgewaterWW

I store my CA in the fridge. Never had a problem except the one bottle that didn't have a tight seal fell over and spilled out. I have a crisper drawer that is permanently closed and a can of soda permanently mounted to the door. :)

I used to store my CA in the shop (garage), but one year it got down to 19f in the shop and the bottles split open.

I have a large (8oz) bottle of Titebond medium that's lasted me over a year and it is still in good shape. Stills seems medium to me when compared to Titebond thick and thin.

Adam

Adam I found your post very funny, sorry about your fridge.  I readed got down to -19F, then read again and saw it was +19F (so about jacket weather in Colorado, haha) (side note: Because it's so cold in the winter. i made a wood glue tote to move it in and out of the cold shop)

So to sum it up, U all say to keep it cold all the time to help the life of CA glue.