Solid or ply

Mqutkingdom

I want Ronald a desk out of solid walnut so that I can have it for many years but I can't find any walnut so my question is should I use fine grade plywood with a walnut or other dark vineer I really don't gong plywood in furniture a good investment cause the return value is far less than solid wood. If anyone has plans for a nice desk that is flat on top and has drawers on the right side and is a little more open on the left please send them to me I'm still looking it's been 2 months and iv found nothing cause I'm so picky and I hate the Internet mostly yahoo search and google search

If you want a desk for many years to come ...I am building a built in in my office and when it came to the top, I froze.

The easiest thing would have to use plywood but I was afraid of scratches and wear over time so I decided to use a solid wood top (pictures will be under ... "the piece that caused avoidance behaviour".

Making a solid top will last and at the same time you will learn to deal with wood movement and keeping the top flat.

Go for it and give yourself time. Go with solid wood. I can't believe you are not able to find wood where you live, but then I live in Southern California where there are a ton of lumber yards. I never buy wood at a home center.

I want Ronald a desk out of solid walnut so that I can have it for many years but I can't find any walnut so my question is should I use fine grade plywood with a walnut or other dark vineer I really don't gong plywood in furniture a good investment cause the return value is far less than solid wood. If anyone has plans for a nice desk that is flat on top and has drawers on the right side and is a little more open on the left please send them to me I'm still looking it's been 2 months and iv found nothing cause I'm so picky and I hate the Internet mostly yahoo search and google search

And one more thing ... pllllllleaaasssee don't take this the wrong way. You live in the United States where everything is available. I grew up in Argentina where nothing is available.

If you can't find the wood I will find it for you. I don't think you want to pay shipping from LA to wherever you are. Give me a city and I will call friends in the furniture and cabinet industry and find you three lumber yards.

Don't give up. You live in the best country of the world where you can get anything.

I will give you one more story. I did a small remodel in my home and wanted new doors for $ 200.00 and the door suppliers told me that it was impossible, that the doors run at least $ 500.00. The challenge was that I wanted to get some square stick shaker type doors because my home is craftsman style. My doors are the cheap 1-3/8" thick stiles and rails with thin center panels. And I found them online, it took work but when the guy at the store told me that was impossible I was motivated.

And ... my wife went to buy a Toyota FJ Cruser (we do a lot of four wheel driving) and we like to drive stick shifts, no automatic tranny's here. The guy at the dealership told my wife that you can't find a stick. I went online with my droid in front of him, looked at ebay motors, brand: toyota, Model: FJ cruser, transmision: manual and found 25 in town ...

Sorry to beat on a dead horse ... everything is available in the USA..

Go with what you love which I think is solid.

Definitely go solid for the top. I can see using ply for panels, but not the top. I really dislike ply for anything else. Right now I'm making 2 cabinets for a spare bedroom closet. It makes financial sense to do it in ply vs solid, for sure!, but I'm hating every minute of banding it and in the end, it looks like ply with banding. -bleck-

Man, if you could get a walnut slab with a live edge for the front.. woooooo.....

Correction right after this post was up I called a person who owns a decking company and he said for 40 bucks plus plus the price of lumber he can ship it to me it's all4/4 and 4th 10 foot boards I don't have the count yet but think it's going to be enough I want to do it all in solid walnut to last forever. And I live in Austin tx

I searched for custom cabinets in Austin, TX and called one of the guys listed. I was told that the best place to go is Fine lumber and plywood

http://www.finelumber.com/

I was also told to call Brazos Forest Products; 600 Industrial Blvd, Austin, TX 78745-1213 (512) 443-0777

Let me know if this helps.

Good luck. You will have to go at business hours so right after high school go to one or both of these yards and you will get what you want. Make up a company name, and do it.

I don't know man, I just like the ability and check the pile of wood that I will buy. When you have a plan and a cut list you eliminate a lot of waste or inventory for future use by buying specific pieces for specific applications. You can also match woods for your glue up desk top so when you apply the finish, it will look better.

I buy a whole bunch of stuff online, not wood. My not humble opinion.

Either way you will win and have a great desk

I cheeked fine lumber it just the prices are steep compared to online I just don't have a way to order online no debit or credit card I do cash hate banks they suck woodfinder helped a little