Advice for a super super waterproof finish?

Egraff

Hello All,

Well, I'm contemplating a new (relatively simple) project:  a badger hair shaving brush.  

For you young-ins out there who don't know what a badger hair shaving brush is, you should pick one up and give it a try.

;-)

Anyhow, to the point:  this brush will get absolutely soaked every time I use it.  I'll of course do my best to dry it off, but it's definitely going to take a beating from water.  I'd also love to have it last for a very very long time, if possible.  

Can anyone suggest a super duper waterproof finish for me to use?  I'd love to have a finished brush that I can just use and not have to worry about too much as far as water is concerned.  I'm thinking some sort of marine product might be best?

I don't really care what it looks like, as long as it looks good and is waterproof... I've just sort of gone into this assuming it will be a very unnatural looking, shiny finish.  Of course, a nice looking finish will get bonus points!

I also have no equipment to handle spray finishes, FYI.  

(I've never had to worry about this before as none of my previous work has involved a function that exposes the piece to water).

Thank you very much.

- EG

As important, make sure the brush has a chance to dry between use.  Perhaps build a matching stand so that it can be stored with the bristles facing down so that any water drips down and off the brush, rather than up into the ferule and handle. 

This is a great point...  I've been thinking about designs for a stand for this very reason.  Thanks for the input.  

And Steve, epoxy is a good idea too... I've never used it, but I'll look into it.  

- EG

I'd echo the above suggestions on using epoxy; both for protecting the handle as well as setting the badger hair into the ferrule.  There are a number of brands avail; some better than others but a good clear epoxy (something like West System 105 resin and 207 clear hardener) will work very well. 

If you would like to take the finish one step further, you could go overtop of the epoxied handle with a satin poly to get rid of the high gloss appearance and give a bit of a 'warm' feel..  I think it would like absolutely awesome!  Trim off the base of the ferrule with brass and you'd have one very fine brush :D

Make sure to post some pics when you get to that point!

Good luck!

Troy, I haven't quite decided on the wood.  I'm planning to take a trip to my local lumber store soon to see what options they have in the appropriate thickness.  Probably something exotic with nice character.  

Thanks for the feedback, Andy.  I like where you are going with this!  It sounds like epoxy is definitely the way to go.  

If you will pardon me for my ignorance, how would one apply epoxy to a turned handle and get the coat to be even and clear?  

I've only ever seen epoxy finishes used on flat table tops, etc, where you can just pour it on and smooth it out to be level.

I also really like your idea of going over the epoxied handle with a satin poly...  I'd love to be able to soften the "shine" out a bit.  Will any satin poly do, or would I need to use something special?  Would something like Arm-r-seal work, or does it need to be a pure traditional poly?

Thanks so much!

- EG 

Ironically enough, we had a demonstration of making a badger hair shaving brush last night in my woodturner's meeting.  He sells his through his website.  Here's a link to pics of his work on our woodturner's website.  Felt this was better than promoting his personal website.

http://www.showmewoodturners.com/brent-johnson

He uses 7 coats of Arm-r-Seal, wipe on.