Divider?

Finally got a start on chest this week (wife and bub away for week). Couple of quick questions.

Has anyone thought of or think it would be usefull to put a divider in the middle. Thinking of this for 2 reasons. First to help stop warping and secondly could put some sliding trays at one end. Would be attached by sliding dovetail with maybe a cloudlift on the top.

Also after routing out my fingers using the template I thought they would be a very snug fit but although not loose and have no wobble, they do slide together very easily. Not concerned about this just interested in others results.

I will pull my finger out and take some photo's soon.

cheers

I have made two blanket chests and I never found warping to be an issue , we use them to store blankets ' so for us the divider would be in the way to put bigger blankets or what have you , but if you will be using it to store other items I guess they would be usefull  , looking forward to seeing your photos.

Good luck

I'm a newbie, but I suspect that Playas is right about it being stable. Remember, each piece is locked together on three sides.

i do like you idea about adding features, though. Personally, I decided against a second hidden drawer because I've got my hands full as it is. The one drawer must have taken me ... I don't know .. 12 plus hours! If you have the skill and desire I think it's a great idea.

ps: I awoke a couple of mornings ago to a dream wherein my lid, which I made two weeks ago, had warped. Of course I immediately ran out to the barn to check! Flat! Decided to put the bread boards on. Figured I might be pressing my luck.

I have decided to scrap the divider idea, seems to be holding straight. I will also be adding the secret drawer now, due to all of a sudden having some extra timber on hand (I had to get extra timber as I cut one of my base pieces too short). I also have fears of my lid warping so have stacked a considerable amount of weight on top until I can get the breadboards ends done on hopefully tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...