Oneida vs. ClearVue

TimH

Marc and Anybody With Similar Experience,

You've had quite a bit of experience with both the Oneida DC and now the ClearVue DC. I realize that the ducting for the CV is probably better/more efficient than what you had for the Oneida but can you adjust for that difference and give us your opinion on the two systems? Bottom line, starting from scratch, assuming the same shop layout, same Nordfab ducting and if money were not a factor which system would you choose and why?

I've read through Bill Pentz's website and talked to him and he really has a compelling story. For my small shop DC I am leaning strongly toward the CV/Norfab option but I think it is always a good idea to get the opinion of others who have hands on experience.

If other have had both of these systems please add you comments.

Thanks.

I have only used the CV but I am guessing the engineering on both is similar. I like the CV and would buy it again. I don't know what the NorFab is but assume it is the Festool of ducting systems. ;-) Personally I can't see putting a lot of money into the duct work if you are not in business making furniture every day. Spiral duct, PVC and even standard HVAC ducts are all fine for a hobby or part time shop. Size matters more than material.

Before someone blasts me about HVAC ducts, I am running them in my shop, have for a long time. Yes, if you run the CV with ALL the gates closed, you will colapse the duct. If you leave even one 4" opening, it will not collapse. So I don't run with all the gates closed (micro switches on the gates) and have a vacuum breaker just in case of a failure of the switches. Much cheaper than spiral duct.

BRuce

Tim H,

I recently installed an Oneida DC system, and have to say its one of my best tool investments. I looked into the CV, but by the time I had everything shipped to Canada, it just made more sense to go with a "local" supplier that dealt in Oneida and could help design the layout and supply ductwork parts. I'm sure the CV is a great product, I spoke with a sales associate on the phone and she was super nice and talked very excitedly about the CV. I went with a 3 hp Super Dust Gorilla, wall mounted and added the stroke light bin indicator. All on a remote starter that hangs from my pocket while working. As the picture shows, I run it "bare assed", right on the back wall of my 30 x 40 shop. Noise has never been a problem, as I usually have ear plugs in anyway, but it is certainly tolerable without. I went with a heavy gauge spiral ducting system, and was glad to have a local guy to purchase fittings from, as I changed the design a little on the fly during installation. It has more than enough power to perform well, even at the furthest branches,this thing sucks. I really like the way the unit looks in my shop, it definitely looks like a beast. I prefer the solid metal to the plastic as I think the Plastic would just get coated in dust and not be so clear looking down the road, but couldn't tell you for sure. Score one for Oneida.post-7010-0-69340400-1382811571_thumb.jp

It does get cloudy, especially with MDF but then it is in the shed behind my shop and I didn't buy it to watch it. ;-)

If I was located in CA, I would have bought locally also. I used to say that my 2hp DC would "suck the fur off a cat", the 5hp CV just sucks the entire cat. The cyclones are amazing.

BRuce

I never used an Oneida either. I've been running ClearVue for the duration of my professional career. In my opinion, CV provides the most power for the price. I'm sure you'd be veryhappy with a comparably-specced Oneida system. And forgive me for not looking up current prices but the last time I checked, the CV represented a significant savings.

As for ductwork, as stated above, Nordfab isnt really a necessity at all. It's a luxury. You can save a bunch of dough using spiral ductwork or snaplock pipe or even pvc.

When I set up my new shop last year, I had a choice in who I wanted to work with. I chose ClearVue.

I've had my CV up and running for a little more than a year now. Absolutely no regrets.

When I priced out both Oneida and CV it came out slightly lower cost to go CV and at the time they were giving a free radio remote unit. So, that's the way I went.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

BTW - back when I was shopping they both had discount codes on Facebook, so you may want to check that out.

One more thing. Somebody mentioned that the ClearVue might not stay Clear. Mine's somewhat cloudy these days, but you certainly can still see through it. However, after the first week or so, I found that I no longer had the urge to watch everything going into it. UNLESS, I'm working with Padauk. Love to watch the red dust. Still makes me think of the mini-series from back in the 80's. Remember "V"? The red dust sure did a number on those aliens.

• Like 1

I have yet to hear anything bad about either Oneida or Clearvue systems in terms of performance. But there is one reason why I would rather buy from Clearvue if I was in the market for a cyclone. Clearvue came out with their Mini CV06 first, which was a mini cyclone based on Bill Pentz’s design. After that, Oneida came out with their Dust Deputy. Oneida filed a patent for the Dust Deputy, and sent Clearvue a cease-and-desist even though both models seem identical in general construction and purpose. Clearvue was forced to redesign their Mini CV06 even though they were first to market with it.

For my shop, I would love something like a Oneida Mini Gorilla. But I don’t want to give that company my business for the reasons stated above. I’d rather wait for Clearvue to make their own version.

• Like 1