I'm building a lingerie dresser

I am building a lingerie dresser and the case is almost complete. As you can see in the picture , there is no bracing in the front. The sides will have braces to hold the drawer runners. I want the drawer front to just sit proud of the case by about 1/2in.

1st question:

The drawer fronts will overlap the actual drawer by about 1/2" on all sides. Should I put in front drawer braces?

2nd question:

The drawers (not the drawer fronts) will measure approx. 6 3/16" in height. I was originally going to build them with maple (Like the rest of the dresser) , but most of my stock is less than 6" wide x 1" thick (to accomindate my 6" jointer). I have never built anything with drawers that high so I am unsure as what to use. Winter is coming quickly so I dont have that much time. Should I use ply from HD? Should I glue up maple to get the height I need?

Thanks , I would really appreciate anyone's opinions or help.

post-1794-061154100 1286373971_thumb.jpg

First of all, you need to get past the 6" jointer limitation. Assuming you also have a planer, you can extend your working width with the following trick;

1. Joint one face of the board allowing it to overhang the cutter. Depending on the jointer and the width of the board, you might have to remove the guard to allow the overhang to clear. You only get one shot at this, so make sure to take off enough to get a flat face. You will be left with a ridge down one edge of the board.

2. Place the board on a 6" strip if flat material with the ridge hanging over the edge. I usually use MDF. Run this through the planer. This results in a flat face opposite the jointed face.

3. Plane the jointed face to get rid of the ridge.

I have used this trick to extend the capacity of my jointer by a couple of inches.

As far as the drawer sides are concerned, there is no problem doing a glueup to get past the limits of your stock.

Mike

I am building a lingerie dresser and the case is almost complete. As you can see in the picture , there is no bracing in the front. The sides will have braces to hold the drawer runners. I want the drawer front to just sit proud of the case by about 1/2in.

1st question:

The drawer fronts will overlap the actual drawer by about 1/2" on all sides. Should I put in front drawer braces?

2nd question:

The drawers (not the drawer fronts) will measure approx. 6 3/16" in height. I was originally going to build them with maple (Like the rest of the dresser) , but most of my stock is less than 6" wide x 1" thick (to accomindate my 6" jointer). I have never built anything with drawers that high so I am unsure as what to use. Winter is coming quickly so I dont have that much time. Should I use ply from HD? Should I glue up maple to get the height I need?

Thanks , I would really appreciate anyone's opinions or help.

I would, one maybe two, hard to get a feel for the size of the unit from the photo. They don't have to be exposed just part of the interior framing ( drawer runners ) .

So the drawers are 6 3/16" high about. So the fronts will be about 7 3/16' so the runners will be about???/ 1in. I f your drawer sides are smaller just make the runners bigger, keep the fronts the same original size. How thick will the fronts be, how about the drawer sides. A drawer is a drawer height does not matter.

Just something to think about instead or having the drawer fronts stick out , recess them about the same as your panels, it might seem harder to do this but in the long run it is easier. The drawers will stay aligned better that way. You are also going to need some blocking to keep the drawers on the runners as you push them in;>).

Dave