friend button

Beechwood Chip

OK, maybe I'm slow, but I just figured out how the friend button works when reading posts.

I'm reading something and I think, "This is a pretty cool post, I'll friend the author." So, I click on the little friend button under the author's name. Problem is, half of the time that just un-friends the person, and I have to wait five seconds and re-friend.

So, I investigated and discovered that the little friend in the button is wearing a tiny-little badge, and if the badge is green then the button is a friend button, but if the badge is red then it's an un-friend button.

I'm glad I figured it out. I'd prefer a red or green background, or better yet a "NOT" circle/slash on the un-friend button, but I guess we're stuck with whatever the software does.

The alt-text (text when you hover over it) also says whether or not the button is a friend or unfriend button.

Unlike Ning, this forum lets you PM people you aren't friends with (well, through the software). With Ning it was a PITA to friend someone, wait for acceptance, then PM them the comment you wanted to make.

Best I can tell, the use of friends here is to accumulate profile pics on your profile page of friends and the ability to track their status changes, which I find interesting.

• 3 weeks later...