DIY vise hardware

imcmahon

I too lusted after the Bench Crafted hardware, but my budget simply wouldn't stretch that far, so I constructed my leg vise using a vise screw from Lee Valley, a hand wheel from Grizzly ( a local machine shop put them together) and built the brackets using anodized aluminum angle and flat bar, filling with some scrap wood.  The bracket wheels are from some Harbour Freight castors. 

This is only my second woodworking project, so any defects you may find are really learning experiences.

I've been dreading laminating the top because of the shear size and weight, but now that the legs are mostly done, I guess I'll have to tackle the top.  I've already ordered some materials to make my own wagon vise hardware.  Here's hoping it works out as well as the leg vise.

Ted

post-15369-0-81269700-1395796112_thumb.j

post-15369-0-65746100-1395796113_thumb.j

post-15369-0-43730800-1395796114_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ian,

Thanks for the pictures and ideas. 

I too couldn't afford the Bench Crafted vises and made my own. 

Without your metal working machines and skills, I went at the wagon vise a little differently.  I used a 1" left-hand thread acme screw and a couple of LH nuts from McMaster Carr.  I made the dog block carrier from a piece of 4" X 3" X ¼" angle.  Drilled a clearance hole for the screw and welded on the nuts (well I got a neighbour to do the welding).  Yes I know that I didn't have to use two nuts, but my motto is "some is good, more is better and too much is just enough".  Also, not having a metal lathe, I got another friend to turn the end of the screw to fit the 4" hand wheel I found online, which perfectly matches the 8" hand wheel from Grizzly that I'm using for the leg vise.  Oh, I also had to cut a square hole through the other arm of the angle to allow the dog to pass through.

Also had to make a flange to hold the screw to the end block, but that was just a piece of 1½" flat bar cut at an angle.  Made an attractive diamond shape with rounded ends after a bit of work with a file. I used a brass washer between the flange and the screw shoulder and a nylon washer between the flange and the hand wheel.  So far the only metal work I've done has been accomplished with a drill press and some files.

The leg vise was a lot easier: I just used a vise screw from Lee Valley.  Removed the stick handle and attached the Grizzly hand wheel.  I did change up the leg vise by adding the Ancora Yacht Service chain kit.  Very smooth and I don't have to bend over so much, which doesn't come as easily anymore.