Shop layout - finally have heat

Pbmaster11

Good morning,

Today I am getting serious about laying out my new shop. I live in ND so it is really cold this time of year. I just installed my pellet/corn stove and now am able to get the shop in place.

I am starting to clean up the shop and get things up temporarily on the wall to get the floor cleared up. I want to talk about shop layout here.

Below is a file within my google doc share. It is a google sketchup file. Please download, check it out and feel free to rearrange it to your opinion and re-upload or upload screen shots. If you don't want to download (scared of viruses), below will be some screen shots.

My concerns...

• Jointer and thickness planer location
  • dust collection layout
  • jointer and planer duct collection going in front of garage (can't open garage then?)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6u9_XCu8PueT3hnTkZVak9vNXM/edit?usp=sharing

FYI picture was right after moving everything in from the old house... a disaster. slowing getting in cleaned up!

post-2720-0-55445400-1391528170_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-82734700-1391528174_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-56625400-1391528179_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-10118800-1391528185_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-99380900-1391529297_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-83928400-1391529304_thumb.jp

If the workbench is a similar height to the tablesaw it could be positioned at the garage door so assisting as an in feed table. But if the L shaped cabinets are your handtool area I can see why you have the bench there. I presume you are having reservations about positioning the jointer and planer at the door as the extraction system will foul the door tracks/door?

A lot of people combine the jointer location with the table saw to minimise the ductwork. If you left the worbench where it is and as you have a large shop the positioning of the planer could be between the MFT and the bench. There seems to be plenty of room.

I see you don't have an assembly table but am not sure what you build. It would be nice to have one and you could use that as an infeed table if you want.

What size mainline ductwork are you proposing?

I would be very wary of the heat source being anywhere near a source of fuel (read sawdust and chips). I see the router table is adjacent to the stove.

25 wide and 30 deep.

Kinda hybrid woodworking. Mostly power tools at this point.

Outfeed table will double as assembly table.

Duct work sizing, I have no idea. need help in that department too. I don't have the clearvue DC yet.

I planned this layout for efficiency and workflow. But I am concerned with ductwork making the garage door not being able to open. Big issue? Not sure.

I welcome suggestions on moving tools

I think its crowded for such a large space. Id loose the bench. Double the size of the out feed and get the saw closer to the bay door.  Honesly I would loose most of the cabinets and only have wall cabinets. Depending on the housing area Id skip the clear view and go metal and get it mounted outside out of the shop.

I think its crowded for such a large space. Id loose the bench. Double the size of the out feed and get the saw closer to the bay door. Honesly I would loose most of the cabinets and only have wall cabinets. Depending on the housing area Id skip the clear view and go metal and get it mounted outside out of the shop.

Keep the jointed and planer near the door? I like the idea of taking away the top section of the bench. Maybe moving the woodworking bench against the wall.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Keep the jointed and planer near the door? I like the idea of taking away the top section of the bench. Maybe moving the woodworking bench against the wall.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

No you want your jointer and planer or drum sander as close to the dust collector as you can get it. Keep in mind your out feed has room underneath for lots of drawers or cabinets. 

If this is a "home shop" nice job on creating this much space.

Based on my trial and error, I would support the others that suggest the plainer and drum sander need to be as close to the dust collector as possible. (As in not an extra foot away) Also with as few elbows as possible. I have also moved to wall cabinets rather than something taking up floor space. "Get rid of the workbench" as noted above is a good idea. I have cut mine down and would get rid of it completely but it has to much crap on it,

If this is a "home shop" nice job on creating this much space.

Based on my trial and error, I would support the others that suggest the plainer and drum sander need to be as close to the dust collector as possible. (As in not an extra foot away) Also with as few elbows as possible. I have also moved to wall cabinets rather than something taking up floor space. "Get rid of the workbench" as noted above is a good idea. I have cut mine down and would get rid of it completely but it has to much crap on it,

Thank you, yes hobby/small business shop.

Okay so I have determined that the cabinets need to be in that corner because it is wired for bench lighting. The dust collector needs to be in that corner because it on the only place it will fit. the lumber storage is the corner it will fit the best.

here is an updated... the workbench is optional at this point. but I would like one... hate not having the ability to clamp things down and hold them. plus I already have two vises that I can put to good use.

EDIT:

Wood lathe comes in the future.

post-2720-0-34625700-1391568181_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-29716000-1391568186_thumb.jp

post-2720-0-93458300-1391568189_thumb.jp

Agree with PB..  Keep your biggest dust/chip producers on the shortest run possible to the collector!  Doing this will rearrange the layout that my not be the best for work flow but, will be much better for the collection.  Items like the drill press need far less DC and can be moved opposite the DC.

I'd use bottom cabinets for the chop saw station and under some of the other tools in single cabinets.

Move the chop saw to where the sander and drill press are and build cabinets under.  Put the spindle sander on a wheeled stand to move closer to the DC when used.

Then, it's up to you if you want to keep or lose the bench.  If you lose the bench, a serious out feed table is in order to assist in the various tasks.. 

Agree with PB..  Keep your biggest dust/chip producers on the shortest run possible to the collector!  Doing this will rearrange the layout that my not be the best for work flow but, will be much better for the collection.  Items like the drill press need far less DC and can be moved opposite the DC.

I'd use bottom cabinets for the chop saw station and under some of the other tools in single cabinets.

Move the chop saw to where the sander and drill press are and build cabinets under.  Put the spindle sander on a wheeled stand to move closer to the DC when used.

Then, it's up to you if you want to keep or lose the bench.  If you lose the bench, a serious out feed table is in order to assist in the various tasks.. 

Check out this layout... taking what you said and applying it.

post-2720-0-40142100-1391606526_thumb.jp