Stanley Sweetheart planes.

Shane Jimerfield

I've been looking at block planes and keep hearing that older Stanley Sweetheart block planes are a good option. It's all got me wondering what the difference is between Sweetheart and regular block planes of the same era. They have a fancy logo but what really sets them apart?

I scoured the internet but could not find the answer amongst all the noise.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

One of two or three reputable sites with more info than you can digest in one sitting. Since you didn't mention which block plane you are asking about I thought I would just link you to the site. He doesn't make overmuch of Sweetheart but rather describes development over time, sometimes with biting opinions.

This link has a quote from a book about half way down the page about the origins of the originals.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?10349-Sweet-Heart-Planes

I believe the Sweetheart planes are the regular planes of that era (roughly post-WW1 to early Depression years), the heart was a trademark logo.  But that era combined the peak of Stanley's manufacturing quality with the full refinement of the Bailey design.  For bench planes, the Bedrock line overlapped it entirely and was the premium line.  There probably was a budget line as well, Stanley certainly manufactured some (as well as SW-equivalent ones) for other firms to put their own name on.