Kapex lasers

Pbmaster11

==> price this thing should not only have the lasers calibrated at the factory

I believe it's stated pretty clearly in the manual why the Kapex's lasers are not calibrated. Some users want the lasers on the line, some inside the kerf and others outside the kerf. My Kapex came with a sticker on the handle clearly stating that the lasers are un-calibrated with reference to the appropriate manual section...

• Like 1

The first time you do it it feels weird...you have to puncture the little label that at first glance appears to be a permanent fixture of the saw...but it's meant to be punctured.  At least that's how mine is...it may have changed by now.

It takes a little fiddling to get them dead on, but it's not difficult.

I guess I should have looked on the handles. You think I would have seen that after brining it to bed with me ha

Typing on cell phone. I apologize for any typing errors.

And just like any other German in bed, I bet it was cold, calculated, and not a lot of fun.  <_<

==>The first time you do it it feels weird...you have to puncture the little label that at first glance appears to be a permanent fixture of the saw...

+1

The other fun part is where they 'pack' the allen key...

As is typical, mine was just thrust into the styrofoam packing seemingly at random... Funny for FT -- they're usually so good about packaging. Over on FOG, I've read about lot's of folks getting pissed because they tossed the packing materials, then didn't have a metric key handy...

==>took me some time to figure out that the cut lines up right inside the lasers, not right on them.

I adjusted mine so the inside of the laser-line just kisses the outer edge of the kerf:

XKX

Where X is the laser-line and K is the kerf... So the interior edge of each X just kisses the outer edges of the K...

My adjustment isn't necessarily right or wrong, it's simply what I thought would work for me...

Actually, I also did a ZCI for the Kapex and 99% just use the ZCI kerf.  I'm not sure I've even turned-on the laser in a couple of months...

Actually, I also did a ZCI for the Kapex and 99% just use the ZCI kerf.  I'm not sure I've even turned-on the laser in a couple of months...

Still need to do that.  What material did you use, and did you have to do any shimming, etc?

==>Still need to do that.

Don't know about other's experience with the Kapex, but FT should supply a ZCI... I was getting a bit frustrated with the stock insert -- it's like the Grand Canyon -- I kept getting slivers trapped in recess, so I kind of got a bit pissed and whipped-up something quick/dirty...

==>What material did you use, and did you have to do any shimming, etc?

Nothing fancy... I grabbed some straight-grained stock from scrap pile and ran it through the sander to match the thickness of the factory part (no shimming), then screwed-together the factory parts and ZCI-blank and ran the sandwich over the router table using the factory parts as a template.

At some point, I'll probably make something proper out of phenolic or some such... But that's probably in a couple of years when this one gets banged-up.