Freud Quadracut router bits

wdwerker

I just got a 3/4" radius Quadracut round over bit for my staircase project. The test run I did with a conventional bit left some torn grain and burns in a few to many places.

2 local sources were out of stock and the only one in stock was priced at full retail with no pro discount available. Hello Amazon ! A friend with Prime got me free 2 day shipping or I would have ordered from the link on WoodTalk .

The bit is 2" in diameter so it has a max 16000 rpm . I put it in a 2 1/4 hp variable speed router and tried it out on some scrap. It cut very smoothly. No tear out, no burns ! Full profile cut in one pass !

I had some arched parts to route with very thin points at each side. I clamped some scrap as a backer and climb cut the left side to keep from breaking the thin points. I think the full round body bit climb cuts much easier than a winged bit.

post-6363-0-93495000-1394900345_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I really gave the bit a workout today. Cut a bunch of stopped cuts to keep from routing into areas that need to be left square. Push in route up to a stop , re set and repeat all afternoon. Smooth cuts with no tearout and only minor burns due to the constant stopping and starting. Routed across end grain, climb cut and it was never hard to handle especially for a fairly large bit.

At first I had thought to use my 3/8" radius Quadracut to remove some of the wood and them finish it off with the 3/4" bit , but a little test cutting made it clear that the extra work wasn't needed.

Check out the pictures in my Mahogany Rolling Library Staircase project journal.

• 1 month later...

Wow, haven't been in this section for a while, lots of new stuff.

I like the Quadracut bits, Rockler ran some of them on a sale a year or so ago so I got one to try and then stocked up. It's amazing to see a big roundover take a full pass and leave a decent finish, kinda makes a believer out of you doesn't it?