Dust collection: The new Bosch Glide vs. Festool Kapex

gracyon

Since this thread appears to be creeping a little towards SCMS dust collection I thought I'd throw my solution out there too. It's much like Vic's but executed a little differently. In my last shop the SCMS was THE dustmaker. This time I was determined to minimize it. This setup captures about 70% of the dust with no vac attached, but when I hook my DCS up tot he 4" port the it pulls in about 90-95%. The whole thing is make from 1/8" hardboard with reinforcing strips at the corners and across the top of the front. The plastic is floor runner material - available by the foot at the big box stores. It used it so that I can still use the saw beveled as well as pivoted.

I think that if you're going to take your SCMS into someones house to work on trim etc, the the Kapex is the best there is, but if your saw will remain in your shop then there are MUCH less expensive ways to go.

Sorry for the big DCS filter bag in the way. I'm not home or I'd just take another picture.

DSC_0145-1.jpg

OK Mark, my dust hood works, your is inspired! That makes total sense!!! Any slats that are displaced cause the majority of debris to flow in a much tighter space than mine, which in turn provides better velocity. At least I think that's how and why it works so well. I really should have paid attention in physics. I'm gonna mock one up as soon as I finish my current project and give it a shot.

Rob,

I finally had a chance to read this. Thank you for the test & comparison. While I must admit that dust collection is not a trait I expect in a SCMS, it's a nice bonus.

As for the Bosch, I think a little duct tape extension on their dust shroud would probably go a long way.

What did you think of the accuracy of the Bosch?

It's been stated a couple times in the thread, but figured I'd chime in. Dust Collection aside, the Bosch is really an engineering sight to behold. The arms make it look like such a mechanical monster, but as soon as you slide (er... glide) it out, it immediately throws people. It's SO smooth and easy. I can only assume that accuracy will turn out to be one of this saw's strong points, even over time.

My only real gripe was with the huge handle. It's not round, but wide and flat. When you've got the thing pulled half way down, it fits your hand perfectly, and feels very solid. The problem is, when it's at the top (at rest) the flat handle is pointing up around 45 degrees, and it's very uncomfortable to reach up and grab it correctly. There's a lot of wrist bending going on.

That... and the two safety triggers on either side of the handle are great for using either hand, but the button it self is "smooshy" and I never get the feeling that I have it fully engaged. It's almost like you press on it, then pull the main trigger while wondering if it's going to come on or not. I would like a bit more confidence when operating a machine that could easily remove a limb.

I've also got to agree with a previous poster, and say that if you don't care about a bit of dust in your shop, it really would be cool to have this thing so close to the wall. (My personal shop is only 14x14)

Glad I could help. I actually really dig this stuff, so if there's any other questions you'd like answered during the day, that require some "hands on", Bosch or not, by all means ask.

Thanks!

Rob

Thanks, Rob.

I appreciate all the info you've provided. I got my hands on one today and after playing with it for a few minutes [i wasn't allowed to turn it on :-( ] I'm sold.

It feels like a great piece of equipment and in my narrow shop (9'11" x 21') the minimal depth requirements of the Bosch will certainly help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've read quite a bit lately about the new Bosch Glider and the Festool Kapex, some good and some bad. Mostly, the bad has been about the Bosch. From accuracy to dust collection the Bosch seems to pale in comparison to the Festool Kapex. When I first saw the Bosch I thought, this is one for me. It cost less than Festool and has no rear space consideration. A win-win situation. Wrong! A cabinet maker friend of mine bought the Bosch and sent it back. The accuracy was terrible and he attributed this to the base not being level. Bosch did absolutely nothing to help him solve the problem. They did tell him that the saw isn't meant for cabinet and furniture builders. I guess if you're a framer it's ok. Sort of disappointing! I build custom furniture and am in the market for a good SCMS and although I was going to get the Bosch, I think Festool's Kapex is the one for me. Yes, it cost more but my product's quality is my major concern not the cost of the tools I use. Hopefully, the tools are a one time cost but my reputation for quality has to be maintained.

• 4 months later...

this older thread was on tww home page forum summary.

Interesting reading and experiences. I was curious about the last post (LarryTheWoodman) second hand reporting of Bosch's response to accuracy concerns. Not totally surprising as DIY and construction is a much larger market, but surprising that many blogs and mags devoted to furniture makers haven't mentioned this (from my reading). With the passage of time, have any of you experienced what you'd call accuracy problems?

thanks

this older thread was on tww home page forum summary.

Interesting reading and experiences. I was curious about the last post (LarryTheWoodman) second hand reporting of Bosch's response to accuracy concerns. Not totally surprising as DIY and construction is a much larger market, but surprising that many blogs and mags devoted to furniture makers haven't mentioned this (from my reading). With the passage of time, have any of you experienced what you'd call accuracy problems?

thanks

Tom,

I've had the Bosch for about 6 months now (I think, it seems like longer). I've had nothing but accurate cuts from it. I did a lot of initial testing, and it even came set up perfectly square. I'm more than happy with my purchase of the machine.

Tom,

I've had the Bosch for about 6 months now (I think, it seems like longer). I've had nothing but accurate cuts from it. I did a lot of initial testing, and it even came set up perfectly square. I'm more than happy with my purchase of the machine.

thanks, Dyami