spraying cabinets

Howdy.  Planning on building kitchen cabinets in my basement shop.  Looking for suggestions of spray finishing them to cut down on time and improve the finish.  I was planning on using poly, but not sure what the issues are with spraying.

1.  If I do this in the basement I am concerned about the overspray going all over the floor.  If I get a small fan and vent out of one of the windows and use a backdrop to spray into with the fan suction at the back of this, OK?

2.  I can set up in the garage, but same concerns for overspray.  I can build a portable spray booth and set that up.

Thanks for any and all help.

Brian

Hi Brian ... There was actualy a great post on this topic not so long ago, it's a bit long but full of info, here's the link

To answer one of your question overspray is going to be a problem no matter what you do, and not just on the floors, over time it will build up on the walls aswel. You can cover the walls with plastic and put mats on the floor and this will protect the surfaces. I wouldn't put plastic on the floor because it's slippery and your going to be moving around while finishing.

I would use a water borne finish instead of the poly. Clean up is easier , less smell and drytime. When I build cabinets I use prefinish plywood for the inside. You can save yourself a ton of time and prefinish your sheets before you cut them up. I used to roll out my clear. Its not nice as spraying but its fast.

• Like 1