French Cleat Issue?

markpelly

I was just sitting here looking through some old posts about French Cleats and someone posted a picture of their setup, and I had a realization. The two french cleats I hung in my shop are a different design. 

I guess I started making them before I knew exactly what type of wood, the thickness, and how they were being secured. I actually have been ripping 2x4s at a 45 and I have been securing them with 4-4 1/2 in screws. 

They seem to be holding really well, but I think I am going to rehang one in particular that will be holding a pretty heavy cabinet. What do you guys think? I mean they are very solid and I can hang on them. Made a quick awful side view in paint.

g6p8Zx4.png

What I don't like about using dimensional lumber for this is how wavy and uneven the angle gets as the wood dries and moves. I've had cleats fail because of this - not the anchor coming off the wall, but the two parts not making good enough contact with each other. If your lumber is stable then...maybe. I'd probably still go with manufactured wood like ply, and if you are concerned about thickness you could use two different thicknesses laminated together and reverse it on the cabinet side.

• Like 1

For french cleats, it really isn't something where thicker material is better. I'm not saying you would be better off using 1/4" or smaller cleats, but 1/2" - 3/4" would be more than enough.

The wood isn't really holding the item you are hanging. The screws you use are. So, if you use thin and brittle drywall screws to hold a 300lb cabinet, you might have some issues regardless of if you used a 4x4 or 1/2" plywood. The 45 degree angle helps to suck the piece down and against the wall using only gravity. There are only two important forces I can think of, and that is shear on the nail/screw, and normal from the 45 degree angle pushing the cleat from the wall. I would be more worried about the shear.

In the end, a 3/4" strip would be just fine. Just stretch it across as many studs as possible and add enough quality fasteners to hold it up.

Thanks for the input guys. I actually have some pretty heavy duty screws in the wall. I believe they are 4 1/2in star drive cabinet screws. 

The fit with the big cabinet is actually pretty poor but it is strong. I will rehang it next week though. Thanks guys

I have had issues with wavy walls and French cleats. Do not flex a cleat in to the low points. Shim it there and just keep full contact with the high points. I have learned that the cleat in the back of the cabinet can be slightly recessed and this helps get a snug fit to the wall.