Cutting Board is Cuping!!!!!!!!!

jgfore

OK. I finished by cutting board about a week ago. I noticed right after I finished that it had a very slight cup in it. I attached some rubber feet on it, and the cup was not noticable. Since then it has continued to cup more and more upward. Now, one of the rubber feet does not even touch the counter top. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to make it cup back the other way. I have turned it up-side-down and place a large glass cake dish on a pedistal. It did this right after I glued it together the last time, but after I turned it upside down it corrected itself.

IS there any tricks to help it get flat again, without sending it back through my planer?

Please Help.

Jeff

Is it a flat-grain or end-grain cutting board? If end-grain, no planer for that puppy. If flat-grain, it is likely from water although I expected the top to hump from water, not cup. Is it just sitting there unused cupping? If so, it likely wasn't balanced for moisture before you started (e.g., planed one side heavily then made the project).

Even a picture would help :)

Is it a flat-grain or end-grain cutting board? If end-grain, no planer for that puppy. If flat-grain, it is likely from water although I expected the top to hump from water, not cup. Is it just sitting there unused cupping? If so, it likely wasn't balanced for moisture before you started (e.g., planed one side heavily then made the project).

It is a end grain cutting board. The black walnut that I used did still have some moisture init, and that is why I am having some trouble. I had already started the project when I cut into it and realized that the wood had some moisture in it. I let it dry for several days and do all of it's twisting. Then I planed it again and it seemed to be OK. Obviously i was not. I wish that it was humping, at least then the corners would be touching. If I took the feet off of it, I could spin it like a top. If there is nothing that I can do about it, then I guess that I can get some realy tall feet for it, so that it will sit level at least. It will be of a decoration in our kitchen anyways. I have already told my local sawmill friend that I never want any wood again that has not been kinled or dried for a long long time. This was my first project and I am hopping to salvage it some how.

I will try to get some pictures soon.

Without seeing the picture, this idea may be worthless.

Look for those wooden bun feet at Rocker/Woodcraft. Even a 3/4" diameter ball will raise the board quite a bit without being excessive. Will definitely help hide the cup. Besides, it is cupped to be a trough so it has the very well designed feature of containing the juices/liquids from whatever you're cutting. Actually boards for chopping herbs with a crescent blade are shaped like shallow bowls B)

Without seeing the picture, this idea may be worthless.

Look for those wooden bun feet at Rocker/Woodcraft. Even a 3/4" diameter ball will raise the board quite a bit without being excessive. Will definitely help hide the cup. Besides, it is cupped to be a trough so it has the very well designed feature of containing the juices/liquids from whatever you're cutting. Actually boards for chopping herbs with a crescent blade are shaped like shallow bowls B)

Great Point. Thanks

Nice Blog by the way.

Jeff

did the board cup after you used it? i.e. after you cleaned the board? i bought a board from a shop that did thisi actually added water to the other side (not ideal) but it seemed to flatten out a bit. what i meant to do and what i was going to suggest to you was oiling it before use

Why can I not send it through the planer if it is end grain?? This may be the problem. I sent the puppy through the planer several times, just before I gave it the final sanding. One of the sides did have a lot of grooves in it from wanting to jump around, but assumed that it was dull blades.

NO. It has never been used, never been wet. I did notice this morning that it also has a slight twist to it. I gues the darn thing has some evil spirits in it, lol:)

Hey Jeff. Here is an article I wrote about sending end grain through the planer. Also read the comments for some differing viewpoints. http://thewoodwhispe...ugh-the-planer/

Ok. I am assuming (probably not a good idea), that sending a end grain through the planer is due to the speed at which the blades are moving. So................... Is is safe to say I could use a hand planer to get the job done, or will this still cause major problems. I realize that I would have to be very careful at the edge to prevent tearout, but to plan down the center might work.................RIGHT?????????????

Jeff

It's not so much the speed of the blades, it's that end-grain is really hard to cut. Remember that a power planer sends the blades into the surface the opposite direction of travel (so if looking from the side, the board travels through left to right, the blades spin clockwise). With tough end grain there, the blades can kick out the board back at you. It also isn't good on the blades anyway.

A hand plane can do it. Really low angle plane like a block plane. You won't take much off at a time.